MetroLink - St. Louis Light Rail

Saint Louis, Missouri
MetroLink - St. Louis Light Rail - here comes the train
MetroLink - St. Louis Light Rail - ticket vending machines and red ticket validating machine
MetroLink - St. Louis Light Rail - inside the train
MetroLink - St. Louis Light Rail - Metrolink map (Wikipedia)

MetroLink - St. Louis Light Rail Saint Louis Reviews

ahtibat17 ahtibat17
St. Louis' Public Transit Jul 16, 2013
MetroLink is St. Louis' public transportation system, consisting of trains and busses. I utilize the trains most often. Both come over to the Illinois side, providing easy transportation into the city. Running from Scott Air Force Base to Lambert Airport, the MetroLink is conventient to baseball games at Busch Stadium (the station is right across the street), Forest Park, Laclede's Landing, and Union Station; there are 28 stops, on the 'main' red line. There had also been an addition of the 'blue line', that goes out to Shrewsbury, but I am definitely not as familiar with this route.

It is fairly inexpensive to ride the MetroLink, and definitely much easier than fighting traffic and parking, especially when you are going to a ballgame. (Of course, then there is the crowd to contend with, but that's minor). There is plenty of free parking at the 'outer' stations, such as Fairview Heights or the college station. But, none at the downtown stations like Stadium and Grand. These, typically, are destinations for people coming into the city, anyway, or the MetroLink is the standard mode of transportation, and you don't have to worry about parking a car.

Riding the MetroLink is relatively safe. There have been a few incidents in it's history, but nothing major. I would just recommend taking the necessary precautions you would normally utilize. And, yes, I have ridden the MetroLink by myself. I would also caution you of some of the Illinois-side stations around the East St. Louis area; I would suggest avoiding these altogether, as this is a pretty rough area.

I haven't ridden the MetroLink out to the airport, yet, but I fully intend to do so this fall when I have an afternoon departure from Lambert.
inside the train
alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
convenient way to get to/from airport and downtown St. Louis Jul 23, 2010
Metrolink is the light rail system that operates in the St. Louis, Missouri area, with stops from the Lambert Airport out to the Scott Air Force Base in Shiloh, Illinois.

While researching options for my arrival at the St. Louis airport, I stumbled across Travbuddies blogs mentioning a train system. I had assumed I would have to take an expensive taxi or shuttle bus, minimum cost of $20. But the train would be under $5 - perfect!

I arrived at the east terminal of the airport and followed the metrolink/ground transportation signs out of the terminal and across a parking lot. I got my ticket at the ticket vending machine on the platform. There were a couple of options. I got a 2 hour ticket with unlimited travel directions/transfers. I think the ticket was also valid for transferring to a metrobus from the train. The ticket was $3.75. Be sure to have your ticket validated before boarding (a 2-hr pass is automatically validated when it is printed).

It was a little over 30 minutes from the airport to the Arch-Laclede's Landing stop, the stop for the St. Louis Arch and historic Laclede's Landing. I rode one stop over the Mississippi River to the East River Front station in Illinois. Apparently this isn't the safest area, so take caution. I wanted to see the arch from across the river, so I did that and then took the train back across the river to Laclede's Landing. I don't think pedestrians are allowed on the bridge and its quite a distance to walk as well.

The train was clean and quiet and well worth the small ticket fee. It was nice to not worry about paying more for and arranging ground transportation at the airport. By the way, a train security officer did board the train at one stop to check all tickets, so make sure you have one!

There are several ticket options:

MetroBus Fare $2.00

MetroBus Fare with Multi-Use Transfer $2.75

MetroLink One-Ride Ticket $2.25

Metro Two-Hour Pass $2.75

Metro Two-Hour Pass from Lambert Airport w/transfer $3.75

Metro One-Day Pass $7.50

This could be your ticket to no rental car or taxi service in St. Louis!
here comes the train
ticket vending machines and red ti…
Metrolink map (Wikipedia)