Mesopotania Restaurant

Mosul, Iraq

Mesopotania Restaurant Mosul Reviews

bigmac993 bigmac993
Authentic Local Food Nov 30, 2009
My family travelled to several foreign countries following my father's work when I was a small child. My mother aways insisted that the children learn to eat the local food and if we did not like it then either be very polite about our feelings or better yet keep our thoughts to ourselves. I never had much problem with her policy on new kinds of food because I was a lot like "Mikey" in the TV commercials and I would eat most anything but my sisters rebelled against our mother's policy.

Today I really thank my mother for this training and when I go on a trip to a new place, one of the first things I do is to search out a place to try the local food. I can not remember ever having been disappointed in trying new things although sometimes I had to try them more than once.

I was working in Northern Iraq in 2005 and 2006 at different locations but all within the area called Mesopotamia between the Tigres and Euphrates Rivers and found this small restaurant named the "Mesopotania" Restaurant at Mosul Airfield, Iraq, right on the banks of the Tigres River. Well that is close enough for me so I went to see if I could get a meal of local style food.

The waiter could speak pretty good English which was good because my Arabic is very limited and they mostly had an English speaking clientele so this is going to be easy. There was nothing on the menu that seemed different than western style food so I told the waiter what I wanted and he suggested the local oven baked flat bread with vegatables and feta cheese. I ordered what he suggested which included tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, a large piece of feta cheese, huge piece of flat bread, and was served with a clear glass cup of hot Lipton tea, the yellow label kind that is very good and can't be bought in the US. I was very pleased with the food. It filled me up without making me feel too full which was good because I was waiting for my flight to Baghdad on an old Russian charter plane that was a rough rider. I had the delicious flat bread before at an Iraqi military camp where I ate a few times before my coworkers began to complain to our supervisor about my activities. But hey, the young Iraqi men liked me, called me Uncle, and enjoyed practicing their English with me. And they didn't get too upset when I pulled some practical joke on the skittish ones. I only have a couple of pictures for this review as we were not allowed to take pictures outside near the airfield but you get the idea, right?

In addition to the local style food, the restaurant had many westen style dishes, all were inexpensive and dollars were accepted.

So if you get to Mosul airfield, stop in at the Mesopotania Restaurant. You won't regret it!
Outside the Mesopotania Restaurant…
Check out this wholesome and healt…
bigmac993 says:
Let's go together, I'll buy lunch!! :))
Posted on: Dec 12, 2009
sgmgreen says:
Very well written. Cannot wait to go there
Posted on: Dec 12, 2009