Merriman's Kapalua

One Bay Club Place , Kapalua, HI, USA
Merriman's Kapalua - open lanai into the evening air is wonderful
Merriman's Kapalua - taster wine, a flight of 5 different wines!
Merriman's Kapalua - half and half of steak and lobster
Merriman's Kapalua - cosmo and mojito at the bar
Merriman's Kapalua - live music in the restaurant, they play a wide variety of music, never too loud or intrusive
Merriman's Kapalua - Pupu taster plate with 1) ginger shrimp with macadamia nut fritters, 2) kalua pig with sweet onion quesadilla 3) goat cheese in phyllo, strawberries and sweet onions 4) ono sashimi with warabi, namasu and kim chee
Merriman's Kapalua - view of the restaurant from the garden, which had a firepit

Merriman's Kapalua Reviews

portia portia
Lovely and famous restaurant in Maui May 07, 2010
Merriman's in Kapalua is a lovely restaurant, with open lanai, live music and great food. We had some drinks at the bar first. At the table for dinner we had a taster plate of their signature dishes to sample, and I had a mixed plate, my husband had a half and half of two half portions of steak and lobster. This is to maximize on the variety of foods we get to try, and everything was delicious. They even had a flight of wines to taste. The ambience in the restaurant was really relaxed but also upscale, with the live music (same musicians as reviewed in Eric's review!) and open evening air. The service was great too. Not inexpensive, but a good place to spend some money and enjoy your dinner and evening while on vacation in Maui!
cosmo and mojito at the bar
live music in the restaurant, they…
open lanai into the evening air is…
Pupu taster plate with 1) ginger s…
Eric Eric
Great food, amazing view, great service Apr 04, 2009
After our less than wonderful experience at Mala, we decided we'd have one nice dinner in Maui, damn the costs. Well, that's not entirely true. Although expensive by mainland standards, Merriman's was still less expensive than some of the other higher end restaurants on Maui, which were charging $50+ per entree.

As with most restaurants in Maui, where beautiful views can quickly be taken for granted because they are so common, the setting was spectacular. A nice, contemporary looking dining room area with glass windows opens out onto a patio with expansive, beautiful sunset views. There was also a live band playing instrumental music. Usually I think live bands in restaurants are kind of tacky, but here it was really nice, and the music occupied a place pleasantly in the background, rather than attempt to steal all the attention for itself. You only noticed there was live music there when you stopped to think about it, and in that moment of realization the effect was more impressive.

The food was great too, the best we had in Maui. For our appetizer we had a sampler plate with four different items. I don't recall each item, but I remember there was something like tuna poke (which was really good), and oysters (which were also good, even though I normally don't like oysters). For my main entree I had the sablefish (black cod). It's a really oily fish, and although it tasted great, I think I could have settled for the smaller portion, because each bite was so flavorful.

My only complaint about the food was the bread. It was an odd mixture of ingredients (including some beer flavoring), and I just couldn't get motivated to eat it, despite my hunger. Maybe it was an acquired taste.

The service was excellent. Our waiter, Davy, was friendly, attentive, and helpful with his suggestions for food. He was never in the way, yet was always there you needed something, a useful knack. As an example, right at the moment when we began wondering where our entrees were, he came out and said that they had just finished being cooked, and would be ready in a few minutes.

Overall, I'd highly recommend Merriman's for a pleasant, romantic, tasty dinner in Maui.
moshers_moll says:
Mmm beer tasting bread sounds gooooood, but maybe that's just the sterotypical English alcoholic in me :-)
Posted on: Jul 08, 2009
vodkaphix says:
A Great Blog, felt like i was right there beside you :) good writing skills!
Posted on: Apr 24, 2009
vodkaphix says:
Had you been Drinking the night before?? could explain the beer tasting bread? Odd!!
Posted on: Apr 24, 2009