Merriman's Kamuela

65-1227 Opelo Rd, Kailua, HI, USA

Merriman's Kamuela Kailua Reviews

mayerel mayerel
Good, but overworked Jul 19, 2012
Let me first start by saying all the food we had here was delicious. It was clearly fresh and very well prepared. The service was spot on and everyone was very friendly. I had the scallops, my mother had a filet and my niece, who was not feeling well, had some sweet corn and mashed potatoes.

My two issues are-

1. A lot of the food is overworked. By this I mean it sounds like a lot of flavors going on at once all on one plate. And all the flavors may work well together, but it just sounds overwhelming. It's a turn off. Let the quality of the food show through.

2. It was hard to tell if this was an upscale restaurant or a more casual restaurant trying to be upscale. It was nicely decorated, clean white table cloths, but then there were people there dressed in little more than a bathing suit cover-up, and I mean this quite literally, I could see butt cheeks. Not really what I wanted to see while having a nice dinner. Is there a dress code? Or is this just how we roll in HI?

Overall I would probably go back and give it another round.
AtlantaScottyV AtlantaS…
Feb 20, 2006
After a morning of riding horses in beautiful Waimea, we were starving and were looking for some good food fast.  It was already about 1PM Hawai'i time when we finally made it to Merriman's.  The place had already cleared out from lunch and they were preparing empty tables for dinner, but the staff quickly made us feel at home (especially me in my cowboy boots - yes, I brought them all the way from Atlanta) and seated us quickly.  White linen table cloths.  Nice atmosphere.  Soft music.  Fast, VERY attentive service from all the staff, and talk about great food...  Oh my gosh, every last bit of it was fantastic.

Merriman's takes great pride in supporting local family farms, many of which provide organically grown produce to the restaurant.  If you're ever on the north side of the Big Island of Hawai'i, PLEASE stop in.  I can't wait to go back just to go to Merriman's.

Merriman's - Hawaii Regional Cuisine