Merri Creek Trail

Melbourne, Australia

Merri Creek Trail Melbourne Reviews

lydia86 lydia86
Nature just a cycle away from the city Apr 22, 2008
My sister was going to work so I basically had a day to burn on my own, and boy did I have the ride of my life. The bike rental store at Federation Square opens at 10 and closes at 5 so I basically cycled for 6 hours straight, stopping only for toilet and water breaks and pushing my bike across paths that weren't too comfortable to cycle on.

The visitor centre will recommend that you take the main yarra trail and the capitol city trail and the internet will tell you to take the maribrynong river trail. But the part I loved best was the merri creek trail. if you start from federation sq, the yarra river eventually becomes merri creek, which is the most amazing cycling experience in the world. You'll need to take a detour from the Main yarra trail, but it's totally worth it. you're basically 1 meter away from the water and it's completely shaded by these trees that are just starting to turn brown (coz it's autumn now). The flowers are blooming red, yellow and purple and you can't hear any vehicles. I hate myself for forgetting to charge my camera!

Along the way, at yarra bend park, there's a childrens' farm which is really worth getting off the bike for a good look around. And if animals aren't really your thing, the smell of steaming hot sweet potatoes should be incentive enough.

I don't know whether it's because I was exhausted by the time I took a turn down footscry rd to Maribrynong river, but I really didn't think it was as great as the reviews had said. despite it being peaceful and the wetlands being on one side of you, for most of the journey I could still see factories, or at least huge buildings, on the other bank. compared to yarra river and merri creek, it really wasn't fabulous.

anyway cycling in melbourne is great. I paid 35 bucks and managed to cover 3 trails. I'm not much of a cyclist and I don't even own a bike, so almost anyone can do this. Remember to get a map from the visitors' centre - u'll have to ask for it coz they keep them at the back.
SamsTravels says:
This sounds like a great idea! Thanks for the tip!!
Posted on: Jan 25, 2011