Meridian Vineyards

Meridian Vineyards - a look at the vinyards

Meridian Vineyards Paso Robles Reviews

williamsworld williams…
Live a little May 24, 2010
Meridian is really a great place ... I was very pleasantly surprised at how beautiful the grounds were and how friendly and warm the staff was. Seeing how it's such a large winery, I was expecting quick "tourist trap" kind of service. Not at all! Meridian has not forgotten its roots.

When you turn into the vineyard, you find yourself driving down a long, tree-lined road. It was a stunning drive up to the tasting room. After driving about a quarter mile, you reach the estate, which is at the top of a small hill and provides breath-taking views of the valley, from the endless rows of vineyards to the rolling hills dotting the country side. A garden surrounds the main building and as you walk up the stone path, you feel as if you're about to visit the home of a friend (no doubt, a very rich friend), and not a famous, "commercial" winery.

There a very nice women with a British accent who assisted me with my tasting. There were three types to choose from:

Standard wine tasting

Cheese-pairing wine tasting

Chocolate-pairing wine tasting

Highlights of the standard wine tasting (we were too full from brunch to do pairings) include:

WHITES

2007 Limited Release Gewurztraminer: a light, refreshing wine with a citrus flavor and orange zest. You can really taste the citrus, especially on the finish. There's also a hint of lychee!

2006 Limited Release White Cabernet Sauvignon: This was like a Rose and was sweet and fruity. I'm usually not a fan of Cab but really enjoyed how this wine focused more on the cherry and strawberry flavors of the grape.

REDS

2006 Limited Release Sangiovese: My boyfriend loved this one because of its cherry flavor and how smoothly it went down.

2006 Limited Release Merlot: To quote Elmer, "This merlot reminds you why you love merlot in the first place." Very true. This is a traditional merlot with flavors of blackberry, plum and spices.

2005 Limited Release Syrah: The best part about this Syrah is that it was paired with a piece of dark chocolate infused with sea salt and chili, resulting in an AMAZING taste sensation. I don't know how good this Syrah is on its own since once I had a taste of that chocolate, I drank the entire thing with it.

I didn’t take any bottles home, not because they were not good, but I just didn’t have the room to carry all that I would have liked to have.

Looking forward to my next visit for sure ...
Welcome