Merecumbé

Avenida 2, San Jose, Costa Rica

Merecumbé San Jose Reviews

Higton Higton
Jan 17, 2007
What, pray tell, is that? I hear you ask. Well, it is a dance school which I now patronise every Tuesday and Wednesday. I thought it was about high time that I learnt this skill. The dance floors of Central American are alive with people twirling around all over the place and it seems a shame to miss out on the fun. So I enrolled here. And it is pretty good fun. As seems usual with me, I am in the middle of the class in terms of ability (or lack thereof). We're mainly learning two dances at the moment: the merengue and the salsa. Initially, the meremgue is easier because the 2/4 timing is a little easier to master. Dance afficionados will know the salsa is a 4/4 timing, but has a stop in it. (1, 2, 3 stop!) and it a little difficult for me to get my head around it. Still, I'm getting there, slowly. The classes are roughly mixed half and half blerks to ladies and they force partners to swap all the time. This has it's benefits (fancy Costa Rican girls) and drawbacks (forceful matriarchs demanding to lead the way) which leads me to the dance relationship. Now men apparently lead which, at times, feels a little bit like horse-riding in that subtle cues are required to lead the lady in the direction you want to go (sorry for the analogy girls). To me, this indicates that you have to know what your doing. Patently, I don't and so foot stamping, misdirections and lousy balance ensue. The course is cheap - 12,500 colones for a month (about UKP13 pop pickers), which is about 8 or so lessons. The instructors know what they're doing. It is a shame I don't know what they are saying half the time though, so hopefully my Spanish might improve a bit too. All round, I think I'm onto a winner. Adelante, dos, tres and, atras, dos tres, and...
egabry2 says:
I went to the Merecumbé in Heredia, and it was probably one of the best aspects of my 4 months abroad in Costa Rica. My friends and I even performed in one of their local dance recitals! We were the first group of gringos to get the honor to do it. If you happen to go to the one in Heredia, definitely take Flory's class. She is amazing!!!
Posted on: Jun 17, 2007