Mercado dos Lavradores

Rua Brigadeiro Oudino, Funchal, Portugal

Mercado dos Lavradores Funchal Reviews

hujera hujera
Nice fish market, overcharged fruit market Jan 07, 2013
The market place is located in the centre of Funchal near the coastal promenade and bus station. The architecture is quite simple 1930's art deco style (looking like a functionalist style). The name could be translated as 'Market of workers' - but it has no political meaning.

I personally liked the fish market, which makes a part of this place. Nice decorations inside (old scales, ceramic tiles and a gallery for a view) make it really enjoyable place. I don't mind the fish smell, but if you do, you might object that staying in the place is unbearable. You can see tables full of fish there. Even a special fish from Madeira - called 'espada' - looking a bit like an eel, having big eyes like a sea monster. I tried this one in a restaurant with bananas (grown in Madeira) and a sauce - if you like fish, I can only recommend you to try this one.

The other part of the place is a fruit market and souvenirs. The merchants are quite pushy you to buy something, that is why I didn't like this part of the market. You can try mango, maracuja or other fruit there. However, I found out, that you can get the same fruit much cheaper in the supermarkets and without cheeky merchants. I think, that this is more for tourists and that's why I left the place with mixed up feelings. (It is just my own opinion, maybe you'll find it a different place, than I did).

Once you are in Funchal, don't forget to go inside. I would recommend you the fish market, which is really a great experience.
Mercado dos lavradores
davidx davidx
Intriguing market Aug 23, 2010
I love visiting markets - anywhere. In particular I have enjoyed markets in Spain, France, Italy and Peru. Top of my list were the markets of Barcelona, Valencia and Pisac. However now if I had to nominate one as top choice, this would be it.

Why? Well, it's as big as any of them and the fruit, vegetables and flowers from Brazil plus their own fish make it superlatively interesting. Lavradores are not dogs or Canadian but workers. The market is on three floors. The ground floor contains stalls of pretty well all kinds except fish and meat, as does the upstairs which consists of large galleries. The basement is for fish and meat. I do repeat the advice given elsewhere that you should try eating scabbard fish BEFORE you see it here. Their horrible heads and teeth make them lok completely unappetising, whereas in fact they are delicious. (I have spared the most gruesome pictures)
Lavradores 1
Lavradores 2
Lavradores 3
Lavradores 4 - fish market from ab…

Related Travel Blogs About Mercado dos Lavradores

Finally in Funchal - Day 11
Now I’m really happy – Funchal was stupendous and I would never have gotten to visit it if I hadn’t been on a cruise.  Or more specifically, on this cruise – but I’m getting ahead of m…Funchal and the fish and flower market, Mercado dos Lavradores..  Notice the photos of the long, eel-like black…

Check Funchal Hotel Deals