Mercado Central

Plaza Del Mercado, Valencia, Spain

Mercado Central Valencia Reviews

Maurizioago Maurizio…
Mercado Central. Mar 06, 2017
This is one of the oldest food markets in Europe. It was built in modernist style between 1910 and 1928. It is a very large structure made of glass and iron. In fact, it covers an area of over eighty thousand square metres. Here there are around 1500 stalls.

Here you can buy fruits and vegetables; meat, fish. Bread and sweets. There are also some stalls offering snails, eggs and dried fruits.

If you need something to drink or eat you can find some cafes inside the market.

This market is opened from monday to saturday; from 7.30 a. m. to 2.30 p. m.
FoxyFauz FoxyFauz
Mercado Central (market) Oct 14, 2012
I believe this is one of the oldest running food markets in Europe but there must have been renovation works to keep this building in good shape and in true Valencian style, with lots of colours, ceramics and mosaics.

The market is clean!! Dry floor with no stinking fishy smell. This was my 1st visit to a market in Europe actually so I dont know whether all the markets are like this but in Asia our markets tend to be quite a stinker always wet and smelly. Though i did pass by a small market in Paris which smelled bad (maybe its just the pee lol cos a shady looking person was peeing as I walked pass)

I guess I was not the only tourist in the market, there were a few others like me marvelling at the ceiling (which was one of the architectural marks of the building). There were so many stalls all neatly lined up with a myriad of stuff (wet and dry products) being sold. I actually considered buying stuff to make a sandwich or a quick meal but I was still going site seeing and didnt want to burden myself with things to carry..though I could buy stuff to make paella (authentic paella lol!!)

Hey its free right, so it is worth seeing.

Check Valencia Hotel Deals