Mercado Central

(2) 696 8327

Mercado Central Santiago Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
The Mercado Central Oct 28, 2016
Wherever we travel we enjoy visiting local markets – and by “local” I mean a proper produce market where local people shop rather than a tourist-focused one with craft and souvenir stalls (though one of us likes the latter too – guess which!) Such a market is a great place to learn about a country’s culture, or at least its eating habits, and provides loads of good photo opps.

Santiago’s Mercado Central doesn’t quite fit the bill as a “local” market – a fish market, it has largely been taken over by seafood restaurants, most very firmly targeting the tourist peso. Of course, this means that if you fancy a fishy lunch it’s the perfect destination, but we were here too early in the day for this and in any case Chris isn’t fond of fish. Just the same, we enjoyed our visit here and did find those all-important photos.

For one thing, the building itself is interesting – a wrought-iron structure dating from 1872, with an ornate roof and a pretty fountain at its centre. In the halls to the side of the main space we found a proper working market, with plenty of stalls selling an interesting variety of fish and seafood and men in rubber boots hauling in crates to top these up. And as a bonus a friendly cat had found a perch on the edge of the fountain and was happy to pose for tourist photos!
Mercado Central entrance
Mercado Central
Fountain in the Mercado Central
In the Mercado Central
andrejav andrejav
Fish market in Santiago Jan 20, 2012
Mercado Central Santiago became a special treat for me when my friend that was born and raised in Santiago took me to his favorite place to eat. I went to the market few times before, ordered some food, bought some algae and fish, but when you are invited by someone that has passion about his town… that is very special. This is the main fish market in Santiago, which means a lot because fishing is one of the Chilean main industries. Variety of the sea creatures on the market is incredible, and freshness is superb! Market is located in the old building close to the city’s main square and it is easily accessible by metro and bus system. Building has a central hall area where few restaurants offer many Chilean fish specialties, and you can imagine how fresh and good that food is… I don’t remember the names of the food plates that I tried, but you must try fish soup, crisp black algae, polyps, muscles and then everything else… To make everything even better, get bottle or two of huge variety of the Chilean vine! Place has become a bit touristy, and prices are on higher note, but I would gladly pay it again…
Windows in the main hall
Africancrab says:
Thanks for sharing. I love fish and would love to sample fish from down there.
Posted on: Jan 20, 2012