Mercado Artesanal Metropolitano

Mercado Artesanal Metropolitano  - Mural by the market

Mercado Artesanal Metropolitano Quito Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
Craft market in La Mariscal Oct 25, 2012
This was one of the places in Quito that we visited with our friends here, Betty and Marcello. We had already done most of our souvenir shopping by this stage so we didn’t buy a lot, but we did enjoy wandering around and taking in all the activity. This large covered market reminded me a little of a Middle Eastern souk, with its narrow passages threaded between stalls piled high with colourful crafts etc. I was surprised to see quite a lot of locals shopping here, as the goods seemed to be mainly aimed at the tourist market – textiles (scarves, table coverings, hats and other clothing); pictures (some reasonably good Guayasamin reproductions, Tigua paintings and other rather tackier souvenirs); ornaments of various kinds; leather-work and speciality food-stuffs such as coffee and chocolate. We did buy some ground coffee ($6.50 for a large bag) as that was one typically Ecuadorean souvenir that we hadn’t yet bought for ourselves – and very good it was too! Betty bought a small traditional mask for Marcello to take as a gift to friends in Venezuela whom he was to visit the next week ($5) and also bought us a bar of passion-fruit flavoured chocolate – delicious! I don’t know how much the latter cost, as it was a gift.

If you won’t have a chance to shop at the markets outside the city, such as famous Otavalo, this is a good option for your souvenir hunting. The prices seemed to me to be reasonable and I’m sure a bit of haggling is in order!
In the market