Menominee North Pierhead Light
Menominee North Pierhead Light Reviews
Menominee North Pierhead Light Jun 10, 2014
The Menominee North Pierhead Light entered service in 1927 to mark the entrance of the Menominee River which is the border between Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The river serves the cities of Menominee, Michigan and Marinette, Wisconsin. The light remains active and its red light flashes every 4 seconds at a focal plane of 46 feet above Lake Michigan. The 34-foot octagonal cast iron tower is painted red and sits atop a white crib at the end of the pier. The black lantern room houses a 300 mm lens which is solar powered. Its original 4th order Fresnel lens had been relocated to the Sand Point Lighthouse in Escanaba, Michigan, in 1989. Ownership of the light was transferred from the U.S. Coast Guard in 2005 to the City of Menominee. After several years of neglect the site was nicely restored in 2013.
The light is located on the pier at the south end of Harbor Drive off First Street in Menominee, Michigan and is accessible by walking the pier. The tower itself, however, is closed to the public.
Part of the list Lighthouses
2 / 2 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!