Memphis Zoo and Aquarium

(901) 333-6500

Memphis Zoo and Aquarium Reviews

Peaceful Peaceful
Memphis Zoo May 15, 2016
During the peak season more exhibits are open. Going in the rain or cold will give you more space and less noise, but some exhibits will be closed. The park is pretty large. You may want to spread your visit over a couple of days with a weekend pass. The gift shop and restaurants are a little pricey, but the food quality is only so-so. I suggest eating a hearty breakfast and carrying some trail mix in your bag. Grab some BBQ after you leave the zoo to get the full Memphis experience.
vulindlela vulindle…
Great layout Jul 25, 2014
This zoo has a great layout and is very easy to navigate. There is some remodeling being done that will only add to this.

The Memphis zoo is one of only four zoos in the USA that currently have giant pandas, and the exhibit is well done.

The panda exhibit was sponsored by hometown FedEx, and they even flew the pandas in from China, in a specially modified MD-11 aircraft.

They have the complex divided by animals and world regions.

The walkways are wide and it does not feel crowded.

I thought the zoo was one of cleanest that I have been to.

There are a few snack bars, that are overpriced.

There are also a few exhibits that charge extra to enter, but we did not do any of them.

All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful.

Entrance fee for adults id $15, and parking is $5.
zoo entrance
River
Red Panda
Cheetah
ahtibat17 ahtibat17
Pandas, Gorillas, and Giraffes... Oh My! Mar 10, 2011
The Memphis Zoo has pandas. I love zoos, but the added benefit of panda bears made me go slightly out of my way on a road trip.

I visited on a fairly mild (temperature-wise)weekday in February. It was perfect. Not too many people and the animals were active. That always makes for a more enjoyable zoo visit.

My first impression of the Memphis Zoo was that it's a beautiful campus. Upon entering, there is a gorgeous fountain area. Right off the bat, I headed to the pandas. This was pretty much my reason for visiting. The panda bears are housed in a China-themed display where they are given outdoor roaming space as well as indoors.

But, as much as I was looking forward to the pandas, my favorite animal of the day was a toss-up between the giraffes and the gorillas. I was wandering by the gorillas just in time for a zookeeper to give an informal discussion on the gorillas that I found informative and interesting. The giraffes (more than I've even seen in one zoo together) were roaming their area, eating.

I spent about an hour and a half here, but I easily could have stayed much longer. It does cost $15 to enter the zoo, plus there is a $5 parking fee. The Memphis Zoo is ranked among the best in the country, and I can see why. It is beautifully kempt, as are the animals.
pudwell pudwell
A World Class Zoo and getting better all the time. Jul 07, 2008
The Memphis Zoo has been around for over 100 years. There are still glimpses to be found of the old zoo. The bird house and aquarium and herpetarium are quite dated. Despite the older parts of the zoo is shifting more toward natural style habitats, grouping things more by where that come from rather than by what they are related to. Cat Country and Primate Canyon built in the 90s still follow the old paradigm. The newer exhibits like China featuring the Pandas and the Northwest Passage follow the new order for zoos. These allow you to get closer to the animals and learn more about the habitats that they live in in the wild. Grand Teton and the Zambezi River camp are sure to be excellent additions to the zoo when they open in 2009 and 2010 respectively. The admission fee is like $13 or so which is about normal for larger zoos these days. Tuesdays after 2PM are free for Tennessee residents if they show their driver's license at admission. They also accept memberships from other zoos which will get you a discount on the entry fee.
Trumpeter swan
Building in China Exhibit
Polar Bears at the Northwest Passa…
Bright light + cheap camera = blur…

Check Memphis Hotel Deals