Memorable Trip with a friend

Penang, Malaysia

Memorable Trip with a friend Penang Reviews

penangkia penangkia
May 06, 2007
Just a little story about an elderly Japanese gentleman and his young friend.Somewhere in May, I had came to know an elderly Japanese tourist. He had come to Malaysia and was wondering a shopping complex that I was also happen to be in. He stopped me for directions.

Since it was my day off, I offered to show him the way to the top most floor of the shopping complex, which incidentally is tallest building in Penang, KOMTAR.

Anyway, he asked me about my hometown and I outlined to him where he should visit. He was so happy because in the 3 days he was here, he hadn't really gotten anywhere. After a venturing on his own to the places that I suggested. He wanted to know if there are any more places of interest. Since I had given him my number, he called me later that night. This is how I became a guide accidentally.

My first job was to take him to the highest point in Penang. Penang Hill, he was a spritely 70 year old man and he enjoyed the trip up the "hill railway". The trip itself was an experience. Although some might balk as it was a little cramp in the train. Anyway when we reached the summit, he was really taken by the view. You could see the almost the whole island from the vantage point. The breeze was strong and really cool. There were also monkeys at the station on the summit, seemingly unafraid of humans. I wouldn't recommend feeding them though.

You will find it interesting to note that there is a Hindu Temple and a Muslim Mosque not very far apart here. There is also a Chinese Temple, which you can see on the way up. Tired or thirsty, there is a small food establishment. Although I recommend you buy your drinks before you ride the train. Maybe bring some snacks along for a picnic.

Alternately you can walk to the hotel, Bellvue and have tea while overlooking the city and the island below. The Japanese gentleman and I settled for one of the benches at the playground and drank cool ice water that I had brought along. I took the liberty of freezing two bottles of mineral water the night before and had brought also some buns.

After a pleasant conversation and rest we head for the station to return to the base station. We had lunch at nearby Asia Cafe, at the foot of the hill. Try the shaved ice, it's great for a hot day. It was almost 1pm in the afternoon.

I enjoyed my trip up in the hills. Hopefully you will too. If you have any questions on my fair city please do message me.

Check Penang Hotel Deals