Memoirs of a random traveler- Part III-Brasil

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Memoirs of a random traveler- Part III-Brasil Rio de Janeiro Reviews

dlipski dlipski
Jul 03, 2007
January 29th, Leblon Beach, Rio, woke up this morning and it was pretty hot, humid and it looked like it was going to rain, but after a shower and breakfast it started to clear out, so I'm on the beach now soaking some sun and reflecting more on the trip so far (while sipping on Skol).

As I mentioned in Part I, I believe it has been a trip of either missed flights or totally not even showing up (5 all together, oh wait…actually 6) Missed my flight to New York, New York to BsAs, then both legs back home, flight from Florianopolis to BsAs and while in Rio back to BsAs. Also, changed dates of flights twice and bought 3 completely new ones. Funny enough I will not even use any of the tickets (flights) I originally purchased, only ones I purchased while down there…wow, who would have thought? That's what happens when you go with the flow and pick locations to visit as you go. It was both exciting and totally random, waking up in the morning, packing bags and heading to the airport hoping to book a ticket on the next available flight to destination "X".

I'm pretty organized in my professional life, I have things on my calendar: meetings, key dates, reminders, deadlines, etc…trying to avoid the unknown and/or surprises, I'm always over-prepared, always try to know the answer even before someone asks me a question. I'm like a Swiss watch, but when I am traveling I am actually looking forward to the unknown, surprises, change, making a split second decision. Almost never really make any definite plans, I do my research on places I'd like to visit but change plans constantly. I love it!! No regrets!

Oh I was writing about Florianopolis, Brazil which is one of the most picturesque cities I have ever seen, but the place was just too quiet, peaceful, laid back. In addition to that, weather was not cooperating and we got rain pretty much on and off most of the day and night. I did however, was able to get a game of beach futbal going with the locals. It was actually pretty cool, with goals, fan-stands, it was a regular stadium but field had sand instead of grass. We played under was probably 11pm or maybe even later. Man, it's very tough on the legs, but loads of fun! I enjoyed myself tremendously. My team won 10:8. I scored 3 goals. (Got invited to come back the next day/night to play with them again) Too bad I had those 3 caipirinhas with dinner, and was not in any condition to play againJ

After another morning of what looked like to be bad weather all day again, we decided to try our luck at the airport (leaving one behind). Shortly after we got on the next TAM's flight out to Rio. (TAM is their version of I guess Southwest…but nicer) Two hours later we were in the cab going to a hotel (which we booked while at the airport) on Copacabana! So that's how we ended up on beautiful beaches of Rio. Some were lucky enough to make Rio their final destination for full two weeks, other (me) were only privileged to one week of festivities here (eventhough according to my original itinerary I only had 3 full days. Literally within few minutes I knew I wasn't going back home in 3 days! No way! I wasn't even tanned yet! LOL

Ok, More on Rio in Part 2.

Check Rio de Janeiro Hotel Deals