Mel's Country Cafe

24814 Stanolind Road, Tomball, TX, USA
Mel's Country Cafe - Getting to Mel's--turn at the Salem Methodist Church in Tomball and you're almost there
Mel's Country Cafe - Wall of Fame for those brave enough to eat a Mega-Mel
Mel's Country Cafe - Believe it or not, this is the small chicken fried steak.  Notice how a to go box comes with the order.
Mel's Country Cafe - Fried pickle night--every Tuesday!
Mel's Country Cafe - Mel's Country Cafe

Mel's Country Cafe Tomball Reviews

travelfan1963 travelfa…
Delicious Country Cooking in Tomball, Texas Aug 30, 2009
If you are looking for Texas-sized portions of Texas country cooking, Mel's Country Cafe, roughly 35 miles outside Houston, is the place for you. Located in Tomball, Texas since 1994, this family run restaurant, while difficult to find, is worth the trip.

Mel's specializes in burgers, chicken fried steak, and fried catfish but other options are available. Huge fried mushrooms, cornbread and homemade onion rings are among the choices for appetizers. Each Tuesday, Mel's offers fried pickle night.

Mel's biggest claim to fame is the "Mega-Mel Burger", which is a sandwich with one and a half pounds of beef with all the trimmings. Customers are allowed two hours to eat the "Mega-Mel" to be listed on the restaurant's Wall of Fame. Those brave enough to try this cannot share the Mega-Mel, must be able to walk after eating and must not get sick (or the eater will be disqualified).

I ordered the small chicken fried steak and it's always a bad sign when the waitress brings a to go box with your order. Portions are Texas-sized and a small size can easily feed two people. I knew I was experiencing real country cooking when I was given the option of cream sauce or brown sauce to go with the steak.

Mel's is also known for its homemade cobbler, which sells out quickly. Be sure to ask for the cobbler with your order or it will be gone. Different flavors are available on different days including cherry, blackberry or apple. I was lucky enough to get to try the peach cobbler which was really good.

Mel's itself is very casual and the staff is extremely friendly. Tables are covered with gingham tablecloths and rolls of paper towels serve as napkins. Prices are low and generally in the $8.00 to $15.00 range for dinners with two sides. Sandwiches are less.

I highly recommend visiting Mel's if you want to try Texas-sized portions of Texas country cooking. This restaurant is my kind of place.
Mel's Country Cafe
Wall of Fame for those brave enoug…
Believe it or not, this is the sma…
melbuf says:
Hi Donna,
You're review on Mel's hits the nail on the head. I wasn't aware you even knew where Mel's was. It is hard to find if you don't know where it is.
I tell ya, when we want some down home, good old country cooking, it's to Mel's we head. I'm crazy about their butter beans, they're the best. Oh and the onion rings, I promise, you've never had anything like them. They are absolutely to die for.
I hope you were able to make it to Veronica's & back home with no problems yesterday.
I really enjoyed you coming out. We'll definitely have to do that again soon.
TTYS,