Mellow Yellow Backpackers

Mellow Yellow Backpackers Rates and Deals

Mellow Yellow Backpackers Rio de Janeiro Reviews

reina216 reina216
Give me a little less Mellow and I would have been happier... May 06, 2009
I stayed in the 24 bed dorm. The room was somewhat trash, but was bareable being that all I needed was a cheap place to stay. The showers weren't that clean and didn't get very hot, but at least they were not cold. There were enough showers provided that there was one always available. A few of their showers were backed-up and didn't drain.

The hostel was like a maze and not set up very conventionally. And it sucked because I had to climb five flights of stairs to get to my room. On top of that, my bed was the third on top of the bunk and so high that I could not reach it standing on my tip-toes.

They do provide large lockers for you to store you things which was very, very convenient. Security I would say was great. You needed a card key to even enter the lobby.

As for the staff. I have mixed feeling in regards to them. Sometimes they were awesome. Very informative and helpful. Cheery and everything you'd want them to be. And other days, as was my first impression of them, they were very short, brief, and seemed as if you were bothersome. Upon arrival they did not greet me and I was left confused as to where to go, for they did not even bother to show me the facility. The managers were awesome at all times though, and they were very concerned about your safety and your experience.

If you want to experience Rio to it's fullest, the hostel offers many tours with a means of transportation. Having met other persons staying at different hostels, it appears that Mellow Yellow went above and beyond in providing the best experience outside the hostel. Most definitely one of their best attributes. Before booking tours with any other agency I would definitely see what Mellow Yellow has to offer.

Though considered to be the party hostel, guests did not seem as friendly as I have experienced in other places I have stayed. But at least when you did want to sleep, it was quiet and people were not disturbing the peace.

All in all, though I would have preferred a better environment, I left happy in the end. And I was able to enjoy Rio as much as possible within the short stay I had there.
TheBrasilNut TheBrasi…
Great value party hostel Sep 10, 2008
Found the place through a guardian review that rated it the best hostel in South America so it had a lot to live up to. It does!

Great bar, spa, awesome food (both breakfast & dinner), helpful friendly staff, party vibe & just a couple of minutes to the beach.

Dorms a little simple but have air conditioning and rucksack size lockers and still great value considering all the other facilities on offer.

Check Mellow Yellow Backpackers Rates and Deals