Meerendal - Wheatfields

Durbanville, South Africa

Meerendal - Wheatfields Durbanville Reviews

bramwan bramwan
Feb 10, 2007
Rassie did a great job of resurecting the Lunch Club (refer to the "I can like to..." forum for more details) which resulting in our noisy bunch taking the trip to Meerendal's Wheatfields restaurant.

Meerendal is a wine estate on the outskirts of Cape Town (about 20 min from town) and is rated in the top 100 in SA. Refer to the website (below) for more details.

We all had at least a starter and main or main and desert as well as a good, health helping of wine (about 9 bottles between 13 of us).

On to the food later - obviously company is as important an ingredient and we had a great bunch making a little noise. They were kind enough (for us and the other guests) to provide us with a private dining room which they were able to seal off from the other guests. As the wine flowed, so did the amount of personal abuse and complete garbage flowing from various people's mouthes. Choice examples included the relative benefits of car manifold cooking versus steaming fish in a dishwasher. It was great having a few new faces around the table too - more people to abuse.

The food was beautifully presented. Everyone enjoyed them thoroughly. My starter was an excellent combination of layered parma ham and watermelon with vanilla pod infused cream (I was thinking of calling it a ham and watermelon lasagne, but thought better of it). For my main I had the rack of lamb, which was again excellent. Some of us (ok, mainly the ladies) managed to squeeze in something along the lines of a herd of chocolate, which included about 5 different types of chocolate desserts on one place. A nice rich way to end a healthy meal.

While not a cheap spot by any means in SA terms, this still represents great value for money. It averaged out at about R250 per head for a superb meal in a great setting over 4 hours.

Check Durbanville Hotel Deals