Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament

Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament - Hall of Arms

Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament Atlanta Reviews

lonetravellernatl lonetrav…
Dinner in the Middle Ages Nov 09, 2009
I was originally supposed to visit the Medieval Times in Baltimore, MD as part of my road trip to Pennsylvania the spring of '09 but my plans fell through. Shortly after returning home a friend from work asked me if I had ever heard of Medieval Times, I just looked at her a bit dumbfounded for a moment then said yeah. She went on to tell him how great it was. I was so jealous. I've always been fascinated by knights and jousting and falconry and the whole mythological wizards and dragons of that time period. I was still a bit bummed that I didn't get to go to the one in Baltimore. So that night I made reservations online at the Medieval Times in Atlanta for the following weekend.

As the weekend arrived I was antsy with anticipation of finally getting to go. I had decided to take my mother with me since she doesn't get to get out of the house that often. But I was also nervous that she wouldn't like it. The website said to arrive 90 minutes early, so we did, but I'm now thinking that was for people who had not yet purchased tickets. Though the lobby provided several things to look at, various suits of armor, the falcon alcove, the dungeon and numerous gift shops, we still found ourselves just standing around waiting for the dinner/show to begin.

When showtime finally arrived, we were escorted into the dining hall (which was more of an amphitheatre with the jousting field in the center) according to color. We were red, btw lol, and happened to be in the front row. Guess purchasing tickets online did pay off after all. Shortly after we were seated our choice of drinks was brought around, either Pepsi, tea or water. Then as the lights dimmed and the king and princess began telling the backstory of the night's tournament and each of the knights were introduced, our friendly serf (server) brought around the tomato bisque, followed a few minutes later by garlic bread. Though it would have been nice to have the bread with the bisque, I guess they were trying to space the food out so the meal lasted throughout the entire show. The bread was followed by a chicken leg, then a spare rib and finally dessert as the knights performed a series of stunts on horseback interupted by a brief falcon show, concluding with the joust and swordfight where each of the knights were eliminated from the competition. Of course red was eliminated first, GRRR!

But my worries about my mom enjoying the show were put aside shortly after the show started when she started waving her red banner and cheering along for the knights along with everyone else. At one point she even handed me my banner and fussed at me for not cheering lol She did seem a little set back that we had to eat with our hands, because after all, in the Middle Ages they didn't have silverware. But she didn't raise a fuss. We even got some comedic relief from our serf, I believe Austin was his name, when the gentleman next to me took off his paper crown (Burger King hats as I call them, and yes we had to wear them), and Austin pointed out, "If I have to wear these tights you have to wear that crown" I must admit, those tights certainly looked less comfortable than the crown. Wonder how much he got paid to dress like that? I'm sure not enough.

The food was decent, the jousting show entertaining and all around the night was fun. So what more could you ask for? The tickets were a bit pricey, but I just reminded myself that tickets to a Broadway show front row would have cost me for one person, what Medieval Times cost for two, and dinner would not have been included.

How much did my mom like it? Well when we got back out to the truck, she looked at me and said "Thank you." I think that pretty much says it all. Two thumbs up reviews for the price of one. I would strongly recommend Medieval Times to anyone who lives in the general vicinity of one, is vacationing near one, or lives close to an airport where they can fly someplace that has one :)
Medieval Times at Discover Mills m…
Hall of Arms
montecarlostar says:
I had a great time there too, this place is a lot of fun
Posted on: Nov 09, 2009
sylviandavid says:
Hooray for you ..... we loved Medieval Times too! It was so fun to cheer for the "teams" ... their horses were magnificent.... and really the knights were quite skilled at fencing, jousting and horsemanship.
Thanks for this review that brought back such fun memories..... sylvia
Posted on: Nov 09, 2009