Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament

2021 N. Stemmons, Dallas, TX, USA

Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament Dallas Reviews

williamsworld williams…
Enter the 11th Century Jan 02, 2009
If you are looking for an opportunity to step back in time when men were called Lords and women Wenches, well, the authentic recreation of that jolly time is right in your backyard. Medieval Times is a family fun experience that is the No. 1 dinner attraction in North America: Their unique combination of a medieval banquet and thrilling competition between Knights captures the imaginations of all ages.

The first Medieval Times castle opened in Majorca, Spain, in 1973. I visited that one when I lived in Europe and truly enjoyed it. Years later, Medieval Times ventured overseas and into North America with its Kissimmee, Florida Castle. They have since open castles throughout the USA including this ivy covered towers one in Dallas. This Castle adds a bit of majesty to the Texas horizon. In regal fashion, this castle boasts nine tree-lined acres complete with a moat filled with schools of live Koi.

I would suggest that you go on line of call to make a reservation. Although the castle seats about a 1000 people, you really should make reservations. The evening we were there we saw quite a few people turned away.

The price tag is quite high unless you check out their website. They often have promotions going on that save some money. You can also sign up to be on their mailing list and you will receive special promotional items through email. Once you purchase your tickets, everything is sooth sailing from their. You arrive, pick up your tickets at will call and then you are lead into a grand hall. This hall is full of medieval artifacts, gift shops, paintings, strolling actors, and for those who love to drink, two bars. They sell these outrageous drinks including Margaritas, and beer. $24 bucks will get you one, but refills continue to go down each time you revisit the bar. You must see them to believe it.

You will wait for a short time before being seated. They will go over all the instructions about what you will experience and then it’s off to your section. We were the green. They have 8 knights who represent 8 different ‘kingdoms’ the show is a 5 act performance. The jousting we expected. The display of weaponry and games of skill, yeah, saw that coming too. The sparks were a nice touch when the swords clashed. But we were totally blown away by the Royal Falconer. The bird swooped low over the theater several times, returning each time to his master's fist. It was amazing to see this so close. And the trained horses were also amazing to watch, especially the dancing. No matter how corny, it's a cool idea and totally fun to watch Knights compete on beautiful horses, exquisitely trained. Add a wonderful meal, colorful pageantry and you can truly be transported to another realm for the evening.

Our serf was terrific, energetic, cheering all the time and yelling at us to cheer louder for the green knight, while constantly attending to the 20 or so revelers in his row. He really wanted us all to have a good time, even if we left hoarse.

Dinner begins with King Phillipe and Princess Leonore inviting us all to share in a regal banquet celebrating peace in the land ... however, unbeknownst to them, the brave Prince has been captured by villains in the opening sequence.

Our drill sergeant, I mean serf, instructed us how to position our cup as to what we want poured in it ... the position of the handle is key to whether you want tea, soda or water. He goes down the line, filling the cups in preparation for the toasting. I opted for unsweetened iced tea but there was plenty of brew being drunk all around, which could account for the loudest cheering.

As well as the show is choreographed and lavishly costumed, so is the dinner.

It begins with a handled bowl of creamy tomato bisque (remember no silverware) and a slice of garlic bread. Pretty standard fare and very acceptable for the price. Hey there's a live show going on, remember. The arena is filled with thundering hooves in a spectacular display of equestrian skills and medieval pageantry. More cheering for your knight as he thunders by. Our knight kissed a flower and tossed it to my niece, se tossed quite a few, and she was on cloud nine. Small touches, that were really big.

Next course -- half a roasted chicken served on a pewter platter, with a spare rib and herb basted potato. Not exactly finger food, but doable with lots of napkins. You will not leave hungry, that's for sure. The chicken was very good, moist with a crisp skin, and the spare rib was very meaty and flavorful, so says my very picky father and friend.

Be prepared to be launched back into the 11th century. The vegetarian meal of a stuffed portabella mushroom, skewered roasted veggies, hummus and more is served with utensils. This had to be the best vegetarian meal I had ever had, who would have thunk it. There is so much food served that you may need a takeaway box that they do provide. You get dessert and they do offer coffee.

This is a place that must be experienced. I can tell you all about it, but each visitor will find something that was planned just for them. Take some time to step back and enjoy a little 11th century in the 21st
Me and Mikal in front of the Castle
Me and my family as we enjoy the s…
My veggie meal was so good
Let the show begin
montecarlostar montecar…
Somewhat touristy but great entertainment Oct 10, 2009
I have been to Dallas several times and I had never been to Medieval Times before. I knew this time I had to do it!

Alright, the price is very expensive IMO, so I thought it better be good. Fortunately they offered a discount on their website. The castle facilities are awesome. If you made reservations they have you in the invitees list and give you a color and a table number.

They recommend you to arrive one hour and a half in advance so you can enjoy the castle before the show. I found this is just a way of taking more of your money from you. I liked the whole medieval mood, but every little single thing you buy -a wood sword or a banner- costs you no less than 5 dlls, so if you add that to the $50+ price for the dinner and show you could end up spending around $100 if you have a few drinks, rent some customes and buy souvenirs and banners to cheer the knights on battle. I wasn't in the mood for spending that much, so we just visited the Torture Museum, which I didn't like that much. They charge you $2 to get in there, not that $2 is too much, but, couldn't they make it complementary since the price of the show is not precisely average?

So that is one thing I didn't really like about Medieval times. It seemed a bit greedy and touristy -at least the one and a half "tailgate"-.

However, the dinner and show part of it was excellent, and I would definitively recommend it to anyone. Food was delicious -a tomato soup appetizer, then chicken and ribs for main dish and pastry for dessert. I didn't understand the story of the show very well -part due to my poor english, and part due to the fake british accent of the actors and the microphone distortion. But the action was indeed very good! I certainly enjoyed the entertainment, and cheering our knight, who ended up losing anyway.

So, I think Medieval times is one of those places where you must go at least once. Now I can say I have been there. But if you arrive early, be prepared to spend twice as much as you planned if you are not careful.
Castle front
Castle tower
Some torture devices
Nice knight armor
montecarlostar says:
Si Ivan muy bueno el viaje en verdad! Gracias por el mensaje y checa mi blog sobre el concierto, ahi subi unas fotos. Muchos saludos!
Posted on: Oct 13, 2009
montecarlostar says:
Thank you guys I did have a great time at Medieval! You oughta visit it as well! :D
Posted on: Oct 12, 2009
jotkar says:
Looks like you've had a good time Dallas, great pictures too man.
Posted on: Oct 12, 2009