Medeka Square

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Medeka Square - Having a rest
Medeka Square - Having a rest
Medeka Square - The worlds tallest flagpole?
Medeka Square - View from Medeka Square
Medeka Square - View from Medeka Square

Medeka Square Kuala Lumpur Reviews

tvillingmarit tvilling…
The worlds tallest flagpole is in Kuala Lumpur, malaysia Oct 21, 2007
MEDEKA SQUARE.

I missed Medeka Square last year when I visited Kuala Lumpur. My travel guide tells me that the tallest flagpole is placed here. So this year I was determined to visit the square.

I took the metro (LRT) to Masjid Jamek and had a short walk for 5 minutes to Medeka Square.

It was here that the Malaysian flag was raised for the very first time at 12.01 on 31st August 1957 to replace the Union Jack, thus signifying the end of British rule over Malaya and the end of colonisation. It is also here that Malaysians regardless of race and belief throng in the thousands, on the eve of 31st August every year to usher in yet another year of independence. The Medeka Square is also the venue of many Independence Day celebrations and parades. The 95 meter flagpole at the end of the square is among the tallest in the world.

Medeka Square is close to Central Market, China Town and Masjid Jamek. You can also find Sultan Building, the National History museum and the Royal Selangor Club here.

Medeka Square is a place well worth visiting.
View from Medeka Square
The worlds tallest flagpole?
Having a rest
tvillingmarit says:
I promice you, you will not regret visiting KL, and perhaps you will meet my sister there, she is still living in KL.
Posted on: Oct 18, 2008
travelman727 says:
Nice review, Marit! There you go again; thanks to you, KL is another city I'll have to visit in Southeast Asia :-D
Posted on: Oct 17, 2008
ErnaButterfly says:
Its one of my favourite places in KL, love the heritage building. I would recommend this place too - the old railway station and national mosque is nearby as well.
Posted on: Feb 04, 2008