McGurk's Irish Pub

McGurk's Irish Pub - McGurk's from across the street

McGurk's Irish Pub Saint Louis Reviews

ahtibat17 ahtibat17
A true-blue Irish pub May 27, 2013
I had been to McGurk's once before, but that was only to grab a drink, so I didn't really get the full experience. This time, I was with a group of friends to celebrate a milestone birthday.

McGurk's is an Irish pub located in Soulard. The restaurant is really cool, with hardwood decor and Irish memorabilia. Our super-friendly waitress took great care of us, once we got a table. (Which was immediate, but there was some confusion as far as availability. Lesson learned: call ahead for reservations, just in case.) The menu consists of Irish far, as well as standard options. I had heard that their grilled cheese was the best in St. Louis, so I got that. (I wasn't really in the mood for bangers and mash or Irish stew or even a steak). The grilled cheese has three cheeses (cheddar, goat, and monterey jack) plus tomatoes and Guinness onions on sourdough bread. It was good, but I wasn't overly impressed with it. For one thing -- the tomatoes weren't quite ripe, so they still had a 'green' taste to them (which the cook could have seen, the seeds still had that green slime around them), and the bread was only toasted (okay, probably just grilled lightly), not buttery-grilled like I had anticipated. The cheeses did have a wonderful flavor, though. I had to avoid the homemade chips as the side because of my shellfish allergy. (I have to avoid anything fried in a restaurant for fear that it's the same grease that shrimp is fried in). Which also means I had to miss out on the appetizer of onion rings, which looked like they could be the best onion rings ever.

McGurk's isn't any more expensive than dining at an Applebee's or the like. But, the quality of food and the stmosphere makes for a much better dining experience. We chose to eat inside, but did wander through the outdoor dining, and I would definitely eat out there next time.
McGurk's from across the street
the grilled cheese sandwich