Mayuna Lodge

Check Iquitos Hotel Deals

Mayuna Lodge Iquitos Reviews

Serena Serena
Fantastic Amazon Lodge by Iquitos! Apr 16, 2007
My backpacking buddy and I loved this lodge!!! Note - we are not your typical American girls. We love to backpack (both traveling and to go camping), we go easily go without make-up, and we are both very active girls who enjoy the outdoors. So that being said, Mayuna Lodge was perfect for us! We got a guide who speaks English, Moses (aptly named), who was very knowledgeable and had grown up in the jungle so he knew how to handle himself and take care of guests. We had so much fun canoeing around during the high water season, going to spot monkeys, bird watching, pirahna fishing, walking tours at nearby villages, etc! Oh, and we loved the food! We were going back for seconds every meal! Now granted Peru does have the best food in all of South America, and this was no different. And staying at the lodge, this was actually kinda of relaxing towards the end of our trip. No planning needed, our meals were taken care of for us, and a guide to take us around. For $100 and being all-inclusive, this was such a good deal. Now I had researched and called around to the different lodges before we settled on this one. This was a wondeful choice to explore the Amazon, which was something I had always dreamed of doing. All the guides speak English (not sure why another review said otherwise). I speak more than enough Spanish to get by and had fun conversing with some of the staff that didn't speak English. I like the fact that the lodge employs local folks from the nearby villages. But they don't exploit the animals in the jungle.

Now there was a couple staying there at the same time that didn't enjoy themselves as much and actually left early. They were also American but you could tell they had never been backpacking before. They had humongous 50 lbs backpacks each plus smaller 20 lb backpacks on their fronts. The girl in particular sat there at the table for all of the meals and never ate anything. She just had bread and water. Meanwhile, my friend and I were going back for seconds! Plus they didn't like the fact that their showers were cold. Okay, the showers are not heated because they use filtered Amazon river water, so it's not warm, but it ain't cold either. I've been on week long backpacking trips through the desert before so showering at all with temperate water, everyday, is just fine with me. My own must-have was mosquito nets. I can sleep on the ground in my sleeping back while camping but mosquitos drive me nuts. And thankfully, the mosquito nets were there in all the rooms and common areas, and intact.

So, if your idea vacation is to spend time at a Hilton or fine resort with a pool, this is not your ideal lodge. But if you are like us and love to get close to nature, get out and explore and like getting dirty, love to eat, and enjoy getting to meet the people who live where you travel to, then this is a great lodge for you at a nice price! Enjoy!

Check Iquitos Hotel Deals