Mayan Palace Puerto Peñasco

Check Puerto Penasco Hotel Deals

Mayan Palace Puerto Peñasco Puerto Penasco Reviews

k12573n k12573n
A Little-known Diamond by the Sea Jun 16, 2012
I went to the Mayan Palace in Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, Mexico from June 16th-June 23rd, 2012. This was the first time I had been to Mexico and I had such an amazing time! I want to share with everyone how pleased I am with the accommodations we received at the Mayan Palace resort.

Puerto Peñasco is only about an hour and a half from the border. It's a small town with a little downtown area that has a marketplace which is open daily; offering souvenirs, clothing, trinkets, jewelry, food, bars, and hours of entertainment. The vendors are all up for bartering and you can usually talk them down to a better price. I actually was given two ankle bracelets for free by two older vendors who saw I had no money to spend. They are all very friendly, talkative, and eager to do business with you.

The resort itself is approximately 15 minutes away from the town of Puerto Peñasco, so I strongly suggest stopping in town or at the marketplace before you settle into your room because the drive might be an inconvenience if you just need a gallon of milk, for example. There is a small selection of groceries in the lobby store at the resort but it is a bit over-priced and usually goes bare every few days because there are no other stores close by.

The bell hops and car hops are excellent, always quick and friendly! As a matter of fact, all of the staff members were excellent aside from the front desk people who didn't impress me much. It was really the servers, bartenders, cleaning ladies, bell hops, and car hops who impressed me the most. They are incredibly sweet, playful, diligent, and hard-working. In the week I spent there with my family and my best friend, we learned the names of the servers and our cleaning ladies and they knew us as soon as we stepped into the pool area!

The rooms were great, too. They're clean, well-furnished, comfortable, and had the best view of the beach! There were balconies in every room that overlooked the white sandy beach just below and we caught the most amazing sunsets I've seen in my life!

The beds weren't very comfortable and it might bother some people that the cleaning ladies don't change your linens every day unless you specify you want them changed because they try to save water. It started irking me a little because of all the sand that ends up caught between the sheets even when the bed is made fresh each day.

The showers are average but the size of the bathtub is exceptional! I'm a tall girl and I fit in the tub comfortably with plenty of room on either side for more portly guests. :P

The only thing disappointing about the rooms (coming from someone whose family has a timeshare) is the mini-sized refrigerator and the lack of a dishwasher but most resort guests probably don't expect either of those. We only did because we own a timeshare and every other place we've stayed in has had a full-sized refrigerator and a dishwasher (sometimes laundry machines, too!). The cleaning ladies would usually wash the dishes if they were left but we kept up with them for the most part. We didn't use the laundry services because there were only two washers and two dryers on each floor and you had to purchase tokens in the lobby store in order to use them, which seemed like a hassle at the time.

The resort offered many daily activities for children and adults, including volleyball in the pool and on the beach, karaoke, live piano in the lobby, bingo, dancing, etc. There is a huge, gorgeous golf course on site that is rarely used because no one really knows about it so you don't have to wait on anyone. There is an indoor pool with skylights and giant plastic inflatable balls that people climb inside of and run across the water in. There is also a large pool directly in front of the main lobby building that has a volleyball net in the middle, stairs and ladders, a drop-off wall that goes from a large part of the pool to a smaller part, a fountain, step stones that you can use to walk across the pool, and both a bar and a restaurant where you have full wait service at all times. They have happy hour at the pool bar from noon-1 and 3-4 pm. There is also another bar in the lobby that has happy hour from 6-8 pm. The drinks are reasonably priced, about $5 each but most of them are two-for-one during happy hour. There is also always a daily special that you get for 40% off during happy hour.

There is a more formal restaurant on site, as well. It was over-priced, in my opinion, but if you want a quiet, swanky dinner for two or a buffet for the whole family, you would go there. The wait staff work at the pool bar, the lobby bar, the pool restaurant, and the main restaurant throughout the day and switch shifts during the week so you're sure to see a familiar face working no matter where you go. The restaurant has a stellar environment and is very stylish and a bit posh.

The beach was impeccable! So clean! I've been to the beach in California, Texas, Florida, and Connecticut and this is by far the cleanest, most sandy and beautiful beach I've ever seen. The water is turquoise and deep blue, crystal clear right on the shore, and you always have the chance to spot dolphins swimming off in the distance. The stretch of beach owned by the resort is impressive and it is very easy to find a piece of beach for your group without walking too far. Just watch the tide - I got my camera soaking wet and lost all of my pictures from the trip! Luckily, my friend's memory card wasn't damaged so I have some pictures to share with you all.

The resort also offers daily excursions including boats to nearby islands, UTV riding, among others. They were a bit pricey so we didn't take any of them but they would be great for a small group or couple rather than a full family.

I wish I knew more about the cost of accommodations but my parents made the reservations (with great difficulty, from what they said) and we are timeshare owners so we received many perks, including a $300 credit on all of our charges. There are different room models, of course, so you can choose according to price range. We stayed in two average-value suites with a kitchen and two bedrooms on either side. You can also get just bedrooms or just a suite with one room attached, I'm sure.

Because this resort is still under construction (we also had view of the two new buildings for rooms to the left of our balcony) and the area is not very well-known to tourists, we enjoyed short lines and uncrowded beaches. I suggest anyone who wants a great value and a luxurious Mexican resort experience should stay at the Mayan Palace in Puerto Peñasco!
The road to the resort after the s…
Awesome sculpture and ceiling fixt…
Inside the lobby..
The view just outside the lobby, o…

Check Puerto Penasco Hotel Deals