Maxies Bistro & Wine Bar

www.maxiesbistro.com - 0131 226 7770

Maxies Bistro & Wine Bar Edinburgh Reviews

spocklogic spocklog…
French bistro in Edinburgh Sep 26, 2012
This place is located just below the Edinburgh Castle near the top of the 'Royal Mile' between Johnston Terrace and Victoria Terrace. It's a smallish looking facade and has a rather pleasant entrance to the downstairs restaurant with various vintage French advertisements painted on the walls of the stairwell which I found rather colorful, charming and inviting. It descends a distance, which normally might seem creepy, but they did such a splendid job in painting the stairwell that you hardly mind and, in fact, quite enjoy the descent.

The restaurant itself is quite nicely decorated, comfortable and indeed very cozy actually. We stopped in here just for a quick lunch to warm up. I was in the mood for some soup as I had a bit of a sore throat. I ordered the Leek & Potato soup, which was the soup of the day, and my companions did the same. They brought us some complimentary bread as well, which seemed to be freshly baked. The service was polite and prompt. I thought the soup was good and satisfied my needs. I would have returned here to sample more, but just never got around to coming back. From what I experienced, however, I can recommend giving it a visit.

I would classify the menu as French persuasion, as you might expect in a bistro, but with some variation beyond that. The menu selections for lunch, dinner and wine are available on the web site. As I mentioned, I only stopped in here for something warm and had the soup of the day, but the menu has some splendid sounding dishes, especially with the variety of sauces available, which are unique recipes of the owner I understand. If the attention to detail on the decor here is any indication, then the dishes served here might be equally well prepared and presented.
Maxies Bistro - street side
Maxies Bistro - across the street
Entrance
Down the steps
spocklogic says:
Isn't is nice, Sarah & Jim, and I liked that feature too of the stone walls. It's rare I make an exceptional find - but think this is one of them. From entrance to stairs to seating to service and beyond, this place performed. I wish I could have gone back here for dinner one night to get the full experience... My instincts, however, are usually quite good, and my observations speak for themselves.
Posted on: Dec 27, 2012
rsvpme says:
Nice atmosphere
Posted on: Dec 24, 2012
sarahsan says:
Nice review Brian, like the colours and love the old stone walls!
Posted on: Dec 24, 2012