5081 Waterway Drive, Dumfries, VA, USA

Mateo's Santa Fe Café Dumfries Reviews

Andy99 Andy99
A Taste of Santa Fe in Virignia May 02, 2009
Mateo’s Santa Fe Café was one of those serendipitous “finds”. On Sunday, I had driven my daughter to a dance competition at a high school in Prince William County. I was on my own for lunch and casting about for a place to eat. Driving down the highway from the school, I chanced upon a new shopping center in the “middle of nowhere” and turned in not certain of what I would find. I spied an attractive storefront for Mateo’s Santa Fe Café and thought I’d try it.

The interior was casually elegant. The image of the Southwestern Native American flute player (Kokopelli) figured prominently in the décor, adorning the lighting fixtures and so forth. The proprietor must have a connection to New Mexico as there are black and white photos of Santa Fe scenes in the 1940s on the walls.

New Mexico-style Mexican food is the specialty. Typical Mexican cuisine selections are found here: enchiladas, tacos, and burritos. Interesting sounding selections I did not try are the New Mexican Chalupa and the Create Your Own Quesadilla. If one must, the café also has sandwiches (including a Santa Fe Chicken sandwich with green chiles), wraps, and burgers.

I ordered the Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas. (I think of enchiladas with sour cream as Enchiladas suizas.) Enchiladas are prepared New Mexico style with blue corn tortillas, green chiles, and served with Pinto beans (rather than refried beans). Everything was tasty and the pinto beans and rice really balanced the meal.

Corn chips and salsa are served with each meal. (The salsa was thick and chunky.)

The soft recorded background guitar music added just the right touch of ambiance for a rainy Sunday afternoon. Live guitar or piano music is provided on certain evenings.

If you are driving along the East Coast on Interstate 95, I recommend you try Mateo’s for lunch or dinner for a change from fast food and chain restaurants along the highway.
reikunboy says:
what a great fine, I lovwe Mexican but find it difficult to get in japan as well as good pizza
Posted on: May 05, 2009