Mataura River

Mataura, Mataura, New Zealand

Mataura River Reviews

Besandri Besandri
Mataura River, Capital Brown Trout destination Aug 31, 2014
I will use this entry to describe fly fishing in NZ ....

Why you might ask, because of all the rivers in NZ the Mataura is the most famous.

Both Gore and Mataura and towns that are close to each other and through which the Mataura river runs through.

Gore is the larger town and the destination that most anglers would head towards.

In the last 8 year there has been an algae disease that has almost ruined a lot of the South Island streams. At this stage it has not appeared in any North Island rivers, but I suspect it is only a matter of time before it does appear.

The algae also has a common name called snot rock.

It makes nymph fishing almost impossible with the nymph constantly needing to be cleaned.

When we first started fishing NZ rivers about 15 years ago it was several years before we learnt how to catch them. My mate Ron was a purist and would only dry fly fish. That worked back in Australia so why would it not work in NZ.

If only it was that simple...

When we did start using a nymph we started catch trout... So we have mainly been nymph fishing.

It does change with the rivers and in some rivers we can use a dry fly, but the more sucessful fishing is nymphing.

Some if the more skilled fishermen only fish to fish that they spot... We are not as good as that and we just fish the favourable waters, or at least what we think are the most favourable.

We also used to head for the Mataura river when we first arrived in NZ.

My fishing mate Ron prefers downstream of Gore while I prefer near Riversdale

We have not fished there as often in the past few year, I guess because the camping is not as good.

The campground in Gore is too noisy for me and I always hear the trains going past.

There is camping at Lumsden and it is very central to a lot of nearby rivers: Orieti, Mataura, Aparima,Waiau.

But we once had a bad experience at this campsite with the host and have been reluctant to go back even though is is under new management and a lot more tidy
My fishing mate Ron doing his thin…
Mataura River Map