Mas Sake : Sushi Bar

San Francisco, California

Mas Sake : Sushi Bar San Francisco Reviews

Eric Eric
Fun but expensive Jun 24, 2009
Met a few friends here before going out in SF. I actually didn't think the service was that bad, but we got here pretty early (before it was crowded) and had a fairly big table so it maybe that was the reason why.

The food is ok, but pretty expensive for what you get. As the name implies, there is also a large selection of sake, so it's a good place to pre-party before going out, if you are so inclined.

I didn't really notice how well dressed everyone was, because we were one of the first parties to arrive and I didn't really look around on our way out. But I could see how it could be a trendier type of place.

It is definitely small, crowded, and loud. But if you have enough sake this fails to matter ;) Overall, an average place, probably made fun by good times with new and old friends.
poohstanggt says:
Interesting review - definitely seems consistent. I commented on the other person's Mas Sake review - I was there in Dec 07 for a work function and it was a mess - super loud and beyond expensive. Ours was being paid for but I believe it was well over $1000 for about 6 of us. I thought perhaps the crowd and noise might've had to do with the time of year (right before Xmas) but sounds like it's always like that.
Posted on: Jun 24, 2009
surfercalavera surferca…
Nov 19, 2007
It should be "Less Sake." Awful, but let me articulate.

I went last weekend with my friends. This was my second time, first time I had an ok time, but this time, I couldn't take it, we walked out. Here's why....

In order of annoyance:

--Poor customer service, hostess was on her cell phone and we had to wait for her to hang up!

--As we waited for a table, we noticed the whole staff were on their phones and talking among them alternatively.

--Some of the staff were either outside talking or smoking chatting with customers, while many waited.

--Food isn't good, fish was not fresh, and rice was under cooked.

--Everything is expensive, which is justifiable if food was a little better.

--It is small, and gets quickly crowded

--It is noisy, music level was so loud, I could actually see people's veins on their neck trying to talk to their friends.

--Music choice was just bad, and loud!

--The scene is very snobby.

--Everyone seems to judge your entrance and your clothing within minutes.

So, if you are ever in San Francisco, CA passing by and you are invited to Mas Sake, say no unless you are ready spend a lot of money, have nice clothes, rent a bmw to get there and act very snobby. I say there are many other REAL sushi bar in SF, don't waste your time.
poohstanggt says:
It's funny....I had a pretty similar experience there in December. I was there for a business dinner and the food was ok but not as great as it was hyped up to be and it was VERY loud. We ended up a bar nearby that was also filled with "pretty" people. I was happy when we ended up back at the local dive bar with the rest of our group. :-)
Posted on: Mar 27, 2008