Mary's Guesthouse

39 West Broadway Jim Thorpe, Jim Thorpe, PA, USA - (570) 325-5354
Mary's Guesthouse - the postcards wall :)
Mary's Guesthouse - the postcards wall :)
Mary's Guesthouse - living room
Mary's Guesthouse - Tom's note :)
Mary's Guesthouse - Brochure.

Check Jim Thorpe Hotel Deals

Mary's Guesthouse Jim Thorpe Reviews

nylor nylor
Feels like instant home :) Jan 22, 2012
My friends and I wanted to get away from New York for the weekend and Jim Thorpe came to mind. My friend came across Mary's Guesthouse thru the ever-so-knowing-friend-of-all-humankind, Google. :)

Our arrival time was suppose to be around 9pm (just a roughly 2-3 hour drive from New York without traffic) But we got stuck in Manhattan Holland tunnel for a good hour and we had to call Tom (the owner) that we will be later than expected. When we finally arrived to Jim Thorpe it was 11pm and the streets were empty and it was quiet. Immediately we saw Tom patiently waiting by the door for us. It was cold out and the fact that he went out and greeted us already made us feel at "home". He helped us with out luggage, opened the door for us, and instead of discussing rules of the house, he let us relax a bit. I appreciate how considerate he was.

Mary's Guesthouse is such a charming place. It is old but very well kept. The moment Tom opened the door, I wanted to live there! The living room looks so warm and welcoming; an old piano was in site, 3 comfortable couches, floors are carpeted,and books, travel magazines,(even the Smithsonian!) are beautifully arranged; I especially like the "post-card wall" in one corner of the living room -- postcards from around the world given by friends of Tom and Michelle (Tom's wife).

The dining area comprise of two big tables, the walls are decorated with pictures of the town; connected to the vast kitchen equipped with stove, microwave, basic utensils, fridge. Very well organized.

This guesthouse has 3 floors, 3 guest rooms; 2 bathrooms. It was difficult to choose which bed to sleep in because all looks very comfortable. Every room has a different feel. One room has a king size bed, 2 bunk beds; the second room was a bit smaller, with a twin size beds, and the 3rd room has 3 beds; the bathrooms are very clean, you could sleep there that's how clean it is. Tissue papers are provided, hand wash, etc. Most of the basic stuff are provided. We did bring our own towels, and toiletries.

I could not stop admiring the guesthouse. It really feels like home. A place you don't want to leave. We stayed for two nights (how unfortunate). There were 6 of us and we occupied the entire house!!

Everything was just so organized and clean. Tom and Michelle certainly manage to make this guesthouse a Home away from Home. It's one of the best places I've stayed in my life. The bonus of it all was the hospitality of Tom. He made sure we were okay and right at home. He made suggestions on where to eat and hang out. When we got back from our ski trip, he left a note on our door (isn't the sweet?) And made a suggestion on where to eat cheap. We were not used to such hospitality (I mean we live in New York :). In the morning he came by again to ask how we were, we invited him for breakfast and he was kind enough to try our Filipino breakfast, had coffee with us. He wanted to know how our ski trip went; told us a few stories of his younger years skiing. I will give the place 10 stars if I could, but it was Tom who make it worth our while.

A great guesthouse for a good price.

It was close to everything the town has to offer. Adjacent to the guesthouse is the Museum! (although we realize it quite late). Good restaurants are within walking distance. It is recommended to drive there, although cab service is available. The rates were really cheap considering how charming the place is and how clean and organized.

I hope to come back during the summer for more outdoor activities and hopefully roam around Jim Thorpe, PA. If I do come back to Jim Thorpe I'll definitely stay at Mary's Guesthouse again. If you want to get away from New York, this is the place to go to.

Check out their website for more photos, directions, rates, and info about the guesthouse and the town.
the postcards wall :)
living room
Tom's note :)
Glynnes says:
Congrats on being today's featured review.
vulindlela says:
nylor says:
oh yay! thanks everyone. :)

Check Jim Thorpe Hotel Deals