Mary King's Close Tour

2 Warriston’s Close, Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Mary King's Close Tour Edinburgh Reviews

deetee921 deetee921
May King's Close Apr 22, 2010
If you're in Edinburgh for a short time, I'd recommend a skip on this. There are far more interesting things to do that are worth your time and money. A lot of parts are restricted access because of the delicacy of the place and also no photographs were allowed. Yes the tour was good, the guide was knowledgeable and told us of some urban legends and so forth, and we saw some interesting things but I remember leaving feeling I could have done something else with that time and money. I would recommend a day trip to the Scottish countryside that leaves from Edinburgh, or hiking up King Arthur's Seat for a view of the city, seeing the famous castle of course, city walking tours, and even seeing Holyrood Palace is more interesting. Especially if you're on a budget (as most of us are when traveling) I'd skip the Mary King's Close, unless you're interested in that sort of "scary story simulations" complete with the recorded stories and guides in character...
pyrrho pyrrho
Good fun Mar 08, 2009
If you find yourself in Edinburgh on a rainy day - then this is a great tour of part of Edinburgh that is now hidden away.

It's advisable to ring up and book your tickets, to avoid not being able to get on a tour (08702 430 160). Adult tickets are currently £10.

Our guide was called Stephen, or Will. He was a wine/timber merchant at the time of Mary King (who the close is named after). He was pretty witty and managed to get the group involved in the story of the plague and what times were like.

An enjoyable hour!
ScottishFireball Scottish…
Really interesting tourist spot May 19, 2008
I have wanted to see Mary King's Close for quite a while and it has been by far the best Ghost Tour I have seen. There is alot of history involved with so even if you don't like the scart aspect there is still a lot to keep you interested. Now it depends on if you believe or not but I can tell you and on my grandmothers grave things happened on the time that I went. At the end of the tour there is a home that you can not enter due to the Arsnic in the walls, as soon as we got there you could hear rocks being chunked at the door, well they do open the door so you know that no one is in there. As soon as she opened the door a rock came flying towards me I can say that I was right in front of the door no on was in front of me not long after that there is a door to the left it opened a bit and slammed. I was hard pressed to not believe it the little tour guide ran out and when I saw her again she had her head down and was shaken you can't fake that kind of fear!!!! So its up to you but if you do go and you get Janet ask her about the girl from Texas and what she saw!
mszoey mszoey
Nov 09, 2007
I decided to go on this tour, being November I was able to walk in, pay and get on the next tour. The guide is in period costume and acts the part as he takes you on the tour.

If you do not like closed in or small places this is not a tour for you. It is also dark and there are ghost stories so if not into that, would not recommend.

I did enjoy the tour which lasted about 60 minutes.

You go from room to room and hear stories about the people who lived in the area based on records that were found. They area is pretty well preserved and very interesting if you want to hear about how people lived in Edinburgh prior to 1753.

Related Travel Blogs About Mary King's Close Tour

Back in Edinburgh (read after Alnwick Castle entry)
We came back to Edinburgh for dinner at The Frankenstein. We were to have dinner as a tour group. Well instead of them taking our orders as a group comes it the staff decides that they are going to s…Edinburgh. The tour ended at Mary Kings Close. Then we headed back to the hotel. Ask I was walking…

Check Edinburgh Hotel Deals