Marv's Classic Soda Shop

(403) 933-7001

Marv's Classic Soda Shop Black Diamond Reviews

ladyluck13and7 ladyluck…
Eat your heart out Guy Fieri Jul 26, 2010
I went to Marv's Classic Soda Shop on the 25th of July, during their Rock n' Roll Classic.

Basically, people that had the foresight to wax their cars obsessively and never drive them- for like forty years straight- actually turn them on and take them down to a street adjacent to the shop to show them off.

Meanwhile, a Marylin Monroe impersonator arouses the old men and a portly Elvis makes you (if you happen to be that age) incredibly nostalgic (and maybe aroused too).

It was wonderful. I enjoyed it a lot.

Marv, the owner (duh), and a live band, entertained the audience with wonderful covers of 50s songs. Marv wore one of those Soda Jerk hats and you couldn't help but notice his incredible mustache. I think I pay less attention to my hair then Marv pays to his mustache.

Here's a link to Marv's Marvelous Mustache

So, despite all the distraction that the Rock n' Roll Classic was offering, I managed to make my way into the actual shop without being distracted by the trillion sounds and shiny things along the way (I was recently diagnosed with ADD for real)

The "Soda Shop" is actually a mix of 50s diner and vintage candy store. Everything is made of vinylie goodness and all the staff are forced to wear hats or baby pink dresses (I'm sure you can figure out which gender wears what on your own).

My future mother-in-law was very excited about the various post-WWII product offerings. Candy, dresses, sodas etc. She was really into it. I'm not sure if I will ever get over the sight of her hopping around in a circle skirt.

We sat and enjoyed a meal there. It was absolutely chaotic. But it was probably because of all the shiny cars and the impersonators.

The menu is deceptively cheap. Let me explain.

A burger is like $6.50. That's not bad right? I mean a burger here is usually like $9 in a sit down place. But it doesn't come with fries and it's like 2/3 of the size of a regular burger.

I think it really does replicate a 50s atmosphere; they always tell us in the news what fat asses we are and how small the portion sizes used to be.

They say stuff like

"Oh, a regular serving of fries used to be the size of a baby's head! Now it's the size of the baby itself! We're all gonna explode to death!" and so forth and so on.

Whatever

The service was quick and friendly. However, I ordered two different things from the menu, and they didn't have either. That's ok because when the food came, it was pretty decent diner grub.

I had a chicken breast sandwich because I was feeling large. I'm sure thats not regular 50s grub. People in the 50s apparently ate lots of fattening things and drove massive cars, but if Grease and West Side Story are correct, they simply danced it off as a result of various group rivalries.

All in all, I enjoyed myself immensely.

Eat your heart out Fieri...if you still have one...

The best diner is in Alberta!

You should go
Throngs of people!
A sideways picture of Marv's I for…
The unfortunate Jim Bob Jones, the…
ladyluck13and7 says:
Yeah! Definitely go to one if you ever happen to be in North America
Posted on: Aug 03, 2010
londonstudent says:
So that's what diners are like! I've often wondered ...
Posted on: Aug 03, 2010
Chokk says:
I checked your link - fell for this one; Check out Marv's CD, On sale now for $15.99. What a must!

Another fabulous review - thanks for sharing and yet a congratz
Posted on: Jul 30, 2010