Marvao Castle

Marvao, Portugal

Marvao Castle Reviews

davidx davidx
A fairyland castle Aug 13, 2010
That was certainly right a few years ago when I went to Marvão - a great castle with fantastic views and no charge for entry. There was a small museum inside with a €1 charge, but no pressure to go in.

The castle is the type that immediately appeals to little boys and to the little boy in all of us. The views extend into Spain and along a ridge to Castelo de Vide (walkable.)

It's hard to separate the castle from the village as a whole which is perfectly walled. It can be visited by bus from Portalegre but you need to ask the drivers leaving whether they are going there. I found the information kiosk at the bus station les than helpful.
Marvão Castle
Castle along the ridge
Marvão Church
Yiew to Castelo de Vide
Chokk says:
True - its not the normal place to visit in Portugal, but I have by now almost been everywhere in this wonderful country.
When I was there a part of the hill was on fire and they were using a helicopter to take the fire out; it was quite spectacular.
Besides being monsterous beautiful, I remember a letter box made in stone in one of the old houses - it was nothing I had seen too often!
Posted on: Aug 14, 2010
davidx says:
Great to get a comment from somebody who has been here - so many people have no idea it exists.
Posted on: Aug 14, 2010
Chokk says:
I loved this place - I had completely the same impression. I have always said I would come back, so I have to do it
Posted on: Aug 13, 2010