Marula Lodge

Luangwa, Zambia

Marula Lodge Luangwa Reviews

pammy_robertson pammy_ro…
awesome budget safari lodge Oct 10, 2013
i really enjoyed my stay at Marula, the staff were very friendly and made my stay feel personal. I even went for a spa at a nearby lodge and owner drove me over. Location was great, right of the banks of the South Luangwa river, very beautiful. I loved the fact that giraffes and monkeys roam freely on the grounds and at night the honey badgers came out. Lodges were clean and comfortable. The food was delicious, not at all what i was expecting from a budget safari lodge. I would stay here again and highly recommend it if you're in this area of zambia.
pearcetoyou pearceto…
Marula Lodge - Luangwa Mar 19, 2011
The Marula Lodge is tucked away on the banks of the Luangwa River and just a five minute drive from the South Luangwa National Park in Eastern Zambia. The lodge itself is decent enough, and the staff is amazing, but it's the LOCATION that makes this place an unforgettable experience. We stayed here for 4 nights while volunteering in nearby villages back in 2008. Most of the people who stay are here for the safari game drives. We didn't get a chance to go out on the game drives they provide, but you don't even have to leave the camp to experience some of the wildlife. It's rare for a day to go by without elephants walking right past the cabins and through the campsite. You can also see and hear the hippos in the river, not to mention the crocs sunning on the banks. The lodge have guards who are always on patrol at night to make sure everyone is safe.

The lodge has an enclosed swimming pool, separate chalets for sleeping, and a main dining area with a bar. The rooms and bathrooms are clean, but they are rough; the lodge doesn't offer all the frills of a nice hotel. There is a ceiling fan and mosquito net for each chalet. There is wireless internet available and they also have a mixed dorm cabin for backpackers. The rates for backpackers is 10USD, regular rooms are 30USD. For the complete package of about 125USD you also get three meals and 2 game drives. They have chefs who cook all the meals. We ate here on our last night and they will cook you whatever you want (if they have the ingredients), or you can pick from their menu or daily specials. It was my first time having banana soup and mosi lager. The service is sterling and the staff really make you feel at home.

If you are in this area of Zambia, I definitely suggest you check this place out, especially if you're looking to go out on a game drive because they have the complete package. And the South Luangwa Park is one of the highest rated reserves for seeing untamed wildlife in all of Africa.
sarahsan says:
James, I understood that it was an African beer. It was just the name I found funny "mosquito beer".

You are right, Luangwa is truly AMAZING! Would love to go back any time!
Posted on: Mar 21, 2011
pearcetoyou says:
Mosi is just a brand name beer in Africa, you haven't tried it?
We acutally did our own game drives to and from the villages. Luangwa IS amazing!
Posted on: Mar 21, 2011
sarahsan says:
Banana soup sounds okay, but Mosi lager? Not so sure about that one!

Sorry you did not get to do any game drives. I was in South Luangwa in 2009. We did 2 game drives each day for 4 days. It was absolutely amazing.
Posted on: Mar 19, 2011