Marugame Castle

0877-24-8816

Marugame Castle Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
Nice little castle on top of a hill May 08, 2013
Marugame Castle (Marugame-jo) must be the smallest castle I have ever seen in Japan. It is a small three story builing on top of a hill. Very cute looking!

The castle was completed by the daimyo Ikoma Chikamasa, who governed the present Kagawa Prefecture at the beginning of the 17th century. It was built to defend Kagawa from sea invasion. The castle used to be surrounded by a double moat. The outer moat has now been filled in, but the inner moat near the donjon remains as it was in the old days. Beautiful swans glid around the moat. Since it is on top of a small hill, there is a steep climb to the top. When you reach the the three-tiered donjon, there is a great view of the city of Marugame and of the beautifully curved stone walls. Since we were there in the evening, the castle museum was closed.

Even if the castle museum is closed, it´s worth a visit. The caslte ground is nice with a park, some food and souvenir vendors and a play ground. The cherry trees were at their peak when we visited, so it was really fairy tale like. I just wish I could have seen the castle surrounded by all the blossoming cherry trees during day light. We past it before we went to dinner, but the hunger was to great to make a stop. I guess I have to come back. Walking around the caslte ground is free, while the castle museum cost 200 yen.
Africancrab says:
It does sound interesting indeed
Posted on: May 15, 2013