Martinitoren

Grote Markt, Groningen, Netherlands

Martinitoren Groningen Reviews

Suusj Suusj
Martini Tower Feb 15, 2016
The Martini tower is one of the highlights of the city of Groningen. The tower is part of the Martini church and is 96.8 meter high. 370 steps, though the public can only climb the first 251 steps (more the enough for me though ;) ). Though I am a bit biased as I carried our little girl on my back ;).

The first 65 steps (18meters) will lead to the floor with the bells. Not to much to see here as this part is gated. You just get a glimpse of the gigantic bells.

Then you climb another view steps till a total of 129 steps (30 meters) to get to the second level. Here you find another set of bells.

174 steps (40 meters) from the start you will get what you were looking for. The view! You can walk around and have an all around view at Groningen city.

251 steps (56 meters) will bring you to the end of the tour. You will see the clock from the other side. Not so much the view that will amaze, but the size of the clock. It is possible to get a glimpse of the outside but nowhere near as great as at the 40 meters.

The tower is a important building in the history of Groningen. It has been rebuild 3 times. I'm not gonna bore you guys with a lot of data but if you are interested it is definitely worth it to read more about the Martini Tower.

Entrance € 3.-

I think that climbing a whole lot of stairs for €3.- is kind of expensive, though I would recommend doing so as it gives you a great view over Groningen. Tickets can be purchased at the VVV across the street.
Martini Tower
Bells at 65 steps
Second set of bells
monkeymia79 says:
The view from the top is stunning, well done on the climb.
Posted on: Feb 21, 2016
ik-ben-10eke ik-ben-1…
I dare, I dare not, and at the end..... I did it! Aug 31, 2011
If you say Groningen, you say Martinitoren (Martinitower), since ages a symbol and landmark for Groningen town.

Now I have this fear for heights, unlike my sister. So when walking through the town center I asked her if she would like to climb the tower, while in the back of my head I was thinking over and over again: "I can climb stairs, I really can" and "why not climb a few steps higher" (After all I survived the (not so very high) Gravensteen in Ghent. And in that same back of my head I had these "escape-thoughts" (making yourself small, closer to the ground, and staying inside the tower on the stairs).

Sometimes you think you know someone, especially a sister. And how I was surprised by her admitting not fond of heights either. Ooooh? And she wanted to climtb the tower by putting it like this: You pay money, not for a ticket to enter, but for a "cure" to overcome your fear. Hmm.... I did not think twice on that, afraid as I was I would see some senselessness in this phrase.

So we went to the VVV touristoffice to buy our tickets, 3 euro is really not much for a fertigo treatment, right?

We crossed the street towards the church entrance, but had to wait till the church was empty again. New collegeyear has started and an introduction for the students was held in the Martinichurch. So we waited, and waited a bit more, and still the students were coming out of the church. When in that crowd I finally spotted an official whom I asked where to enter for the tower it turned out we were at the wrong place and had to go around the corner, for the tower has a separate entrance at the Grote Markt.

Now it was easy, and we passed the swing-gate. There is only so many people allowed (I think it is 50?) on the tower at one time, and the counter is built in the swing-gate.

Then the way up lies in front of us: Old spiral stairs, with a thick rope to hold on. Ofcourse I did not count steps, my sister did however, and at the second part of abt. 65 steps I felt my knees a bit like rubber. I should not have looked at the window (I did not look out of the window, just peeked at that little hole in the wall...) One, make that two or three, deep breaths and on I went again, until we reached a floor where at the center you could look down into the church. Not for me though, but the children did. Also in this room is a rope hanging down where you could experience how to chime the bells. And ofcourse the children loved that!

But there were more steps on that spiral stair waiting for us, for that view we were after. At 40 meters above the Grote Markt we left the stairs for the gallery outside the tower. And after a couple of breaths and some pep-thinking I was able to look across the town. The gallery is fenced of, and on the sculpture railing a safe, high bars fence is constructed, which I grabbed to ease the balance receptors of my body.

The sky was overcasted, but even with this circumstances we could see pretty far. And I even managed to take some pictures!

You can climb even higher, which my sister and nephew did, and they got as high as the clock. For me this gallery at 40 meters was high enough, and I was happy I was persuaded to climb the tower.
Martinitower
Spiral stairs
The two stages to which you can cl…
View on Grote Markt and beyond
aloneinthecrowd says:
I've been to Groningen so many times already but I've never been up Martinitoren. Next time I'll go. You made me curious ;)
Posted on: Sep 04, 2011