Markt – Schwerin’s Centre
Markt – Schwerin’s Centre Reviews
Markt, Town Hall and Neues Gebäude – Schwerin’s Centre Jun 26, 2009
The market square between Dom and town hall is the heart of the old town.
The so-called „New Building“ in front of the choir of the Dom, built in 1783-1785, originally served as a market hall. The white neoclassical building now hosts a cafe and restaurant.
The medieval old town hall in market square was described as „looking like a barn“ in the 19th century and did not seem suitable for the residential town of a Grandduke. The magistrate hired court architect Demmler to design a more representative facade. Demmler selected the English Tudor gothic, just like for the arsenal on Pfaffenteich, to give the building a more representative face. The facade hides the much older building - its back front in Schlachtermarkt gives an idea of its former shape. A passageway underneath the town hall connects Markt and Schlachtermarkt.
Two rather new monuments recall Duke Heinrich der Löwe (Henry the Lion) of Saxony, the founder of the town. Both were erected in 1995to honour the 800th anniversary of his death. Next to the steeple of the Dom a copy of the medieval lion monument in Heinrich’s residence Braunschweig has been put up. The monument by Peter Lenk in market square also presents a statue of a lion on top of a high pedestal. The relief on its four sides show Heinrich’s deeds. However, they do paint neither a friendly nor a heroic image. Heinrich is depicted slaying the men in battle and riding along a row of women lining up to be copulated.
Part of the Mecklenburg 2009 travel blog
Part of the list Schwerin
2 / 2 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!