Maria's Sicilian Ristorante and Cafe

410-268-2112

Maria's Sicilian Ristorante and Cafe Annapolis Reviews

marksreynolds marksrey…
Authentic Italian Athmosphere May 22, 2009
Maria’s is a small authentic Italian restaurant which sits in the back corner of the Annapolis City Dock area of downtown Annapolis, Maryland. They have a dining area upstairs, which may or may not be open depending on how busy they are, and a dining area and separate bar on the main level. Along with an exstenive wine list, they have a nice menu of veal, fish, chicken, beef and lamb, and of course pasta.

We have been here many times before, usually for special occasions such as birthdays and anniversaries. This is also the place where I asked Lena to marry me, so it has a special place in our hearts!

On this visit, we had an 8:00 pm reservation, but arrived about 25 minutes early. So, we thought we would have to sit at the bar while we waited for our table, but when I gave my name, we were seated right away! :)

Our waitress promptly came to our table, greeted us and asked if we would like to see the wine list, which of course we did.

Her name was Norina, and she was very friendly, polite, attentive, pretty and had a very cute Romanian accent which is a plus on my tip scale ;) Maybe I should have mentioned TB, but I can always go back and give her the web address.

When she returned with the wine list, she also brought us two large pieces of freshly made bruschetta, which we devoured while waiting for our bottle of wine, so no pictures of that! After very professionally pouring me a taste of the wine, she poured for us both, and then returned with a basket of warm, freshly made bread and a dish of garnished olive oil, yummy! We were told about the different specials of the night, and placed our orders. It didn’t take long for our appetizer of Calamari Fritti to arrive. This is breaded calamari served with a homemade marinara sauce, and it was very good! The serving was large enough for four people, but we still managed to finish it off. I noticed our waitress checking on our progress from a distance from time to time, but only because I was facing that direction. I thought this was very nice and much better than the usual interruptions you get at other places. As we finished our appetizer, it was only a few minutes later and our entrees were headed to our table.

The appetizer plates were cleared, more wine poured, and dinner was served. Lena ordered the Vitello alla Pica, a nice piece of veal sautéed in a lemon, butter, white wine sauce and garnished with asparagus, and I had the veal chop special. Both were cooked to perfection and very tasty! Once we finished the large portions of veal and pasta, except for Lena who had to take part of hers home, our plates were cleared. I then saw our waitress and a few other staff members headed our way with a piece of Tiramisu with a candle in it. Today was my birthday, and Lena was just as surprised because she had nothing to do with this, it was all them!

After the singing, we still placed an order for dessert because this small piece of Tiramisu was not enough. I ordered the Chocolate Cassata Cake, and Lena ordered another piece of Tiramisu, an espresso and a glass of Vecchio Romagna, which is a very nice Italian Brandy, to finish up the night, and I finished the last of the wine.

Once again, we had a very nice meal here and if you are ever in Annapolis, give them a try. Just ask for Charlie Priola the general manager and tell him I sent you!
Fresh, warm homemade bread and gar…
Maria's upstairs dinner area with …
Calamari Fritti
bwitch16 says:
The best italian restaurant in the area, and the ambience is awesomely cute.
Posted on: May 29, 2009