Plaza Santo Domingo, Cartagena, Colombia

Mar Azul Cartagena Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
A tourist trap Mar 02, 2013
I had read about a very popular Italian restaurant (popular among Italian expats) in the old town of Cartagena. I was so disappointed when I arrived and realized that the restaurant was closed, it wasn't there anymore.

I was so ready for a pizza, so I stared looking for another Italian place. At Plaza Santo Domingo there was a big one with outdoor dining, but it was full of cruise tourists. I had no urge to mingle with them. Then on the side of the plaza I found Mar Azul, a tiny little place with 7 small tables. This colonial house decorated in white and blue looked charming at first glance. I chose to sit inside to get a break from the heat outside.

They had a variety of pizzas in 5 different sizes. I ordered one with chicken and mushrooms. It looked quite pale and tasted nothing. It filled my stomach, but definitely was not a pizza I will remember. No one ever asked me if I enjoyed the food either. The service was at a minimum.

The Mar Azul is nothing but a tourist trap. Next to pasta and pizza, they serve salads, beef and fish. Prices vary from $6,50 to $40.

Will I eat at Mar Azul again? Not likely!
sarahsan says:
I agree Stig! But the restaurant "Pizza en el Parque" had great Italian pizza!
Posted on: Mar 14, 2013
Stigen says:
They are in general not very good at italian food in Colombia (or equador)
Posted on: Mar 12, 2013
sarahsan says:
Blue sea is correct Brian! The place was charming and had potentials, but the food and service need a great improvement!
Posted on: Mar 02, 2013