Mapy's & Mapy's

Mapy's & Mapy's - sign outside

Mapy's & Mapy's Lima Reviews

yadilitta yadilitta
Much more than an empanada - Mapy's & Mapy's Nov 26, 2009
As it slogan says, this place is much more than an empanada (traditional pastry).

Actually I was going to the cafeteria next door, when I saw the tempting little hats (shape of the empanadas here) and couldn't resist to try them. They are located in Jesus Maria area, this is their only location. But it's worth it to drive all the way here.

The place is small but with nice decoration and the lady behind the counter is the owner itself. There are some empanadas display there and they all look so good.

Usually the empanadas are 1/2 moon shape, but here there are round - first difference. Also the traditional stuffing is beef, chicken or ham & cheese, but here empanadas have different stuffings, for all the tastes.

In total we tried 4 different flavors:

-Empanada de choclo con queso: corn & cheese. This is a traditional Argentinean empanada. I've tried this in Ecuador and was baked by an Argentinean, but I liked it here better.

-Parisien: was close to a vegetarian one. It had the cheese, spinach and a bit of bacon.

-Mediterranean: this was a vegetarian one: grilled veggies, mushrooms and the right amount of Bechamel sauce. Delicious!

-Mexican: Shawn loves Mexican food and couldn't resist to order this one. It was a taco inside an empanada, very good! and I'm not a big fan of tacos!

In some places the empanadas look good, but they don't have much stuffing and are a bit dry. But here they have a good amount of stuffing and pastry was thing. They were warm and served in cute baskets to make the experience even better.

The service is great. The owner itself is supervising everything and I had a nice chat with her about my foodie addiction, hahaha. She's waiting for me to write a review of her place. Hope she hasn't thought I lied, since it took me so long to write about this place...

I wanted to take pictures of the empanadas, but the owner was afraid their competition will copy their design, totally understandable.

Anyway, this place was a great discovery and definitely will come back here when I'm in the area. Thumbs up for these little hats!!!
sign outside
the busy owner
yadilitta says:
yes, they are very good
Posted on: Jan 05, 2010
geerbox says:
These were my favorite empanadas I've tried! I think the cool shape of them along with the great taste did it for me plus the owner was super friendly :)
Posted on: Jan 05, 2010