Mankinholes Youth Hostel

Check Todmorden Hotel Deals

Mankinholes Youth Hostel Todmorden Reviews

davidx davidx
Hostel with history Sep 11, 2010
For what I think is my 250th review I am coming very close to home, to a building that I pass very often on my constitutional walks. It may not represent much travel for me but it is travel related for most members.

Mankinholes is a small hamlet coming within Todmorden and reached by the T6 or T8 bus if you don't want to walk. I have always, until recently, regarded it as a Tudor village but I learn that the pattern of the houses with their gable ends towards the road indicates a Viking settlement.

Anyway the history I am talking about is far more recent than either - starting in 1832 to be exact with the passing of the New Poor Law Act. The website I have provided is extremely long but, if you like history as much as I do, I strongly recommend reading it in full. If you don't, scan down through what they call the boring bits to what ae described as the exciting bits. The first three photos are all of the same building and if you look at the third you will see an anachronistic green triangle marking it as a Youth Hostel.

In (extremely) short - the residents of Todmorden at that time did not want (to put it mildly) to pay their levy for a new workhouse. Two collectors went to this building, that was then besieged by an angry crowd. In the end they agreed with the owner not to cause physical harm to the collectors, if he expelled them from the house.

The paragraph under the second photo tells what happened next. Apparently the crowd stripped the collectors naked and followed them as they were then allowed to leave - still naked.

Check Todmorden Hotel Deals