Mangi's Bar & Restaurant

+255 777 417042

Mangi's Bar & Restaurant Zanzibar Reviews

spocklogic spocklog…
A 'Pole Pole' Zanzibar Relaxation Way Sep 15, 2011
Mangi's is literally right on South Beach in Nungwi (located in the northernmost tip of Zanzibar). This is about as close as a place can get on beach level without being part of the ocean in a robust high tide. The beach is right there (within 10 meters) complete with the sounds of the waves and the air & smell of the ocean. The building is like a large hut with thatched roof. Seating is all outdoors, although part of it resides under the roof. There is an open view to the ocean wherever you sit.

It seems to be a popular hangout on South Beach in Nungwi and was always full with patrons in the evening. It serves customers as both a bar and restaurant, plays an interesting mix of music, from vintage and popular American to tropical sounds and even multilingual ballads now and then. There are some pool tables as well for a bit of activity. We hung out here a couple of nights in Zanzibar. It's an idyllic spot for enjoying an evening with drink or having a meal. Everyone seems happy, the drinks are reasonable in price and while the food is not spectacular, it's fairly good. The service is a bit slow (as it's usually busy) and the staff seem easily confused with orders and tickets, but the location and atmosphere more than compensates.

Although I am not much of a beach person, this spot really had some beach ambiance to offer in my opinion. Coming from me that is high praise actually. There are several hotels in the local area to stay at that are within walking distance from which you can enjoy this Bar & Restaurant. Right next door is "Z Hotel", which is more upscale, but well known. We stayed at "Safina Bungalows", more of a budget place, but just a few minutes walk to the beach & Mangi's. I would have given it 5 stars, but the staff really do get confused easily. Perhaps this is part of its charm too (meaning no harm) and the "Pole, Pole" (slowly, slowly) demeanor is a Zanzibar way. The busy nature of a place like Mangi's exceeds the ordinary pace sometimes I think. Good or bad I guess depends on your viewpoint maybe. It's so relaxing here you find the "Pole Pole" ways within yourself, and that is its true charm I think.

Really, for me - 4 stars the first visit, and 5 stars the second and once I embraced the philosophy of going at a slower pace of life in Zanzibar. Average - 4 1/2 stars. Fair enough, eh? Check out Mangi's in Nungwi, and try to capture the spirit of "Poli Poli" in Zanzibar Ways with a good mix of people, music, drink and food right there on the beach. Good atmosphere, good people and good ocean side ambiance too.
Mangi's beach view I
Mangi's beach view II
Mangi's beach view III
Mangi's @ night
spocklogic says:
@Rob - I try to help offering vicarious experience. @May, you teasing me? I was feeling "Pole Pole", really I was!
Posted on: Mar 12, 2012
robzvoice says:
I'm definitely a beach person and right now, I'm! Thanks for sharing your experience about the Mangi's Bar & Restaurant, Brian!
Posted on: Mar 10, 2012
spocklogic says:
Thanks, Rob. It's popular in the evening and the beach area is perfect. I'm not a beach person, but loved Mangi's and the beach area here.
Posted on: Mar 10, 2012