Mandalay Inn

Mandalay Inn Rates and Deals

Mandalay Inn Siem Reap Reviews

edregin edregin
My First Guesthouse Experience Jan 28, 2011
While writing this review, I am on the highest hope that the management has maintained the kind of hospitality they've rendered to us or should I say, hopefully they've improved better and that they've expanded their business.

I remembered it well. When we arrived in Siem Reap, the sun was nowhere to be found. We were on the rush to find for an accommodation (we had several choices from Lonely Planet's recommended places but mostly are full). I just couldn't remember it well how we were able to find this guest house - guess it was from my buddy's research, who & where else but of course through Yvonne.

I was too tired from a long trip. We came from Bangkok by bus, crossed Poipet Border, had another ride again... all I could remember was that I had a long day traveling by land. Glad the tuktuk driver knew where the guest house we were looking is located. At least we wouldn't have to wander around. While we were heading to the guest house and when finally the tuktuk driver stopped to drop us off the guest house, there's one thing that went through my mind, the best area in Siem Reap is where we are exactly located.

As soon as the staff handed us our room key, we hurriedly went to our room. The room was small (a twin bedded room). There was a TV (which I don't need on holidays) & a cupboard for the luggage. The bathroom doesn't have any compartment at all. And oh! No AC here but just a fan, but couldn't complain. We only need a clean place to stay, as we would be out all of the time. We were lucky we were not let down!

I should say the money we have paid worked on our expectations here. With as much as US$ 9 for two per night, we thought it was really a bargain considering we can surf the net anytime of the day. Yes, they have free Wifi for all the guests! What we loved here was that, our room was kept tidy during our stay, even have the turn down service. I was like really?! You sure?! We're cheap and don't give tips! lol!

Kidding aside, the staff were helpful. They were very nice with us especially to me. I had been a guest with many requests at that time. It was all about exchanging notes with a TB member whom I had been exchanging emails when she was in Bangkok. We were staying at the same guesthouse and we communicated by exchanging notes through reception :D

We used their restaurant and we liked the food. In fact, during snack time, we prefer to eat rice and pork pork pork menus! Heavy meals always. Nyaay! We were told there was a gym but we were not interested... not even bothered to check on it (it even came to me why they've mentioned this, probably they noticed the sudden pounds added to us with our few days stay with them and they want us to shake off the fats), lol!

Anyway, our overall stay here was great! We never had a problem and even surprised to know that there could be cheap places like this but could execute many things just like in the hotel. Loved it there, it wasn't bad all! I enjoyed it much and saved a lot from possible expensive accommodation prices. Oh! I haven't mentioned it yet, thanks Lola V for finding this place! (so should get credited yah?!) :D
The Bed...
the reception area outside...
The bathroom/toilet
The sala inside...
ericg1112 ericg1112
Solid Budget Accomodations in Siem Reap Mar 15, 2011
I really enjoyed my stay here. The owners are actively involved and both of them speak English. The hotel has a small but cozy lobby with books to enjoy if I recall properly. The owner's children were adorable and loved to socialize with the guests, memories which are among my favorite for the entire trip. Owner also had reliable drivers that could provide transport to the temples. This is a comfortable, friendly place. I was there in Nov 2008.

Hotel has a simple restaurant with outdoor seating, and the food was fine. The room was extremely simple and appeared clean enough (remember you are in Cambodia, revise your standards somewhat unless you want to pay big bucks). I do remember that the sheets on the beds were sheets featured cartoon characters, obviously intended for children's beds.... but again, third world country, so think outside of the box a little;) Everything in the room was functional and I believe we were able to get a room w/ an air conditioner, which I highly recommend in this steamy city.

The location was in walking distance to an indoor market, pharmacy, the river, and much more I'm sure. There is a really cool rooftop workout facility, covered but open air. Exercise equipmenty is basic and old, but it was great to be up 5 stories and watch the hustle and bustle below. I would say the neighborhood looks sketchy, however most of the city looks sketchy so just go with it.

There were brochures in the lobby for socially responsible activities, like getting a massage from a school for the blind, visiting a local orphanage, and visting stores and resturants that employ the disadvantaged. There is also a critical need for donated blood, which we did at 2 local hospitals. We went to an orphanage, which was really fun. After 9 days of breakneck travel & sightseeing, it felt really relax, experience the moment and give a little something back.
steffeck steffeck
Clean, friendly, cheap-ish May 18, 2011
It is a nice place, very relaxed and friendly. Right next to the Pub-Street and to the market.

They got a bar and a travel office. We booked a tuk-tuk for one day in Ankor Vat with them. 10 Dollars for whole day seems fine to me.
nomaden nomaden
Mandalay Inn Apr 14, 2010
In hunting for a guesthouse in Siem Reap there was only one factor I was looking for - a free pick up from the airport. I don’t want to deplane feeling lost once I arrive. I don’t want to worry about where to go next after landing so that’s how I ended up booking a room at Mandalay Inn .

Location, friendly staff , price, hostel rating, wifi or free internet use comes as a bonus to me. Mandalay’s location is just on a street off the main road and very near the ATM, Grocery store and yes, the old market. It’s also very close to pubs and restaurants that are scattered like mushrooms which offer so many dinning options.

For $10, my friend and I got a double fan room with ensuite toilet and bath and cable TV. The room is not tiny; we are dwarfed by the size of it. It can still comfortably accommodate one traveler inside.

Downside is, our room is located in the 4th floor closer to the ceiling thus it’s hotter than the rest of the rooms floors below. We had a hard time sleeping the first two nights, it might be because there wasn’t enough ventilation or it is just too hot in Siem Reap. On the third night though, I opened up the window and turned on the exhaust fan in the toilet and then the temperature was just right for us to get a shuteye.

The toilet on the other hand, was decent sized. There is no partition between toilet and the shower so everything gets wet when you bathe and you can suffocate inside too if you forgot to turn on the exhaust fan. :) The water pressure was okay only the water smells like rust. But it’s bearable.

Wifi is also available in most areas of the hotel. If you don’t have a laptop and can’t get by the day without having a dose of your internet life then no need to worry because there are two desktop computers available for free use at the ground floor. Just be prepared to sit like the Koreans or Japanese as they have midget chairs and don’t forget to slap on some mosquito repellant if you’re using the pc at night.

Most importantly, the staffs at Mandalay Inn are extremely friendly. Smiling when they meet you is their form of greetings. You won’t hesitate to call on somebody for anything because they are always there to help. It was great! Likewise they are very helpful in arranging tuktuk rides and tours, etc..

All in all, Mandalay Inn is a pretty good value accommodation in Siem Reap.

Mandalay Inn

Double Bed Fan Room
Mandalay Inn Reception
Washroom
Aurora78 says:
This was my home during my trip last April. I love it! I'd definitely stay here, if I decide to go to SR again! :)
Posted on: Jun 29, 2010
tj1777 says:
I would think you would be used to the heat from home. I can only imagine what us poor northerners most feel like if you find it hot.
Posted on: May 04, 2010
nomaden says:
Sure. :)
Posted on: Apr 24, 2010
Aurora78 Aurora78
A homey & affordable guest house that welcome the guests with a big smile! Apr 30, 2010
When my friend and I decided to go to Siem Reap, we had a heck of a difficult time finding a place to stay, not because the options are limited but the exact opposites! We read reviews on trip advisor, lonely planet and other travelers’ blogs. I even developed a headache from over-reading. LoL. Not quite sure how we came upon Mandalay Inn, but sure glad we did!

Let see: very friendly staff, located within walking distance to the famous old market (shopping!), Pub Street (a place to be at night, trust me!) & the 24 hours store similar to 7 Eleven, clean & comfortable room -there are 2 double beds, a/c, ceiling fan, hot & cold shower, 24 hours front desk (by the 2nd day, they already remembered our room number :), FREE wifi, delicious coffee (lol..seriously!) and guess what? They could even arrange a tour for you --> what's not to love?? :D

It costs us USD16 per night. Yes, there are of course cheaper places to stay at, but we like the cosy atmosphere here. Somehow it feels a bit like home. Staffs are friendly and whenever your eyes meet, there are always smiles on their faces. I like that. Oh, whenever we want to go to the internet corner @ the lobby, we had to take off our shoes. The same goes when we want to go back to our room. They even provided shoe racks! (Similar to the one I have at home actually..haha) Don’t worry, the shoes are safe, thanks to the 24 hours front desk duty. :)

With all that being said, I’d definitely stay at Mandalay Inn, if I happen to be in Siem Reap again.
The place's tagline: "Looking expe…
A busy day for Jasmine (the girl b…
Another view
Aurora78 says:
You're welcome :)
Posted on: May 01, 2010
Mezmerized says:
This looks great, might look into this for when I get there. Thanks for sharing :)
Posted on: May 01, 2010
borneonikieta borneoni…
Cheap stay in the heart of Siam Reap. Dec 04, 2009
Mandalay Inn was my home for the 3 nights of my stay in Siam Reap. After taking a ferry trip from Phnom Penh across the Tonle Sap lake which took about five hours, Mandalay Inn welcomed me with easy check in. The staff were friendly and always helpful. For $7 dollars per night, I got myself a room (fan no ac) with tv, wardrobe and a bathroom with function hot or cold shower. The lady who ran the place always there to make sure that everything runs smoothly and she was very informative with the places that I wanted to go. Location wise, Mandalay Inn is very strategic as it is in Siam Reap itself, although during my stay, the road in front of the hotel was going through some facial uplift causing heavy dust in the air, the staff were always to help make sure the place is clean. Just a good 10 minutes walk from an ATM machine which is also located opposite of the Old Market. Mandalay Inn also has its own appointed tuk tuk that works for them so you dont have to hassle over price with the tuk tuk driver, i think that was great. The hotel is also walking distance to the Pub Road which was the main attraction of the place at night and some 20 minutes walk away from the ACODO orphanage if you fancy doing some charity for the less fortunate during your stay.
Arwenoel Arwenoel
Feel Like Home in Seam Reap, Cambodia Apr 24, 2008
This is the best guest house i have ever been.Trust me...you will feel like home when you first step into the guest house.No no i should say when you first steped out from the airport!The guesthouse will send a very friendly tuk tuk driver to wait for you out side the arrival hall...all you need to do is just let them know your arrival time and spot the brigthest smiling face outside the arrival hall.The tuk-tuk uncle will be holding a board with your name written on it and pick you up to the guesthouse.Dun worry if your flight is happen to be delayed...trust me...they will be there earlier than the time you'll be arrived and definitely will wait until you walk to them if you are late.I like the tuk-tuk uncle that arrange by the guesthouse they are responsible and friendly.They will wait for you with all their patience in life.The tuk-tuk uncle waited for me at the bus terminal for 3 hours!When i was taking the bus back to Seam Reap from Phnom Penh!The bus was delayed!I was surprised and moved at the moment i saw the driver smile and waive at me...he was just like one of my family member who used to fetch me home from the airport everytime i go back to my hometown.All the staff in the guesthouse are friendly.Especially the manager(a very shy fellow).He was so helpful.He helped to arrange tuk tuk to getting around,book bus ticket to Phnom Penh,arrange the tour to the Tonle Sap Lake.The location of the guesthouse is strategic where you can get everything easily...the Old Market & Night Market are juz a stone step away...O yea... the price USD$17/night.
aswold says:
Great info. I might book here when I visit!
Posted on: Aug 05, 2008