Manakamana, Nepal

Manakamana Reviews

travelwithsuz travelwi…
Manakamana, Nepal.....My Heart's Wish May 01, 2015
The recent earthquake in Nepal was totally devastating. Yesterday, I met a Nepalese lady who lives and works at the cash till for one of the popular food chains in Dubai. She served me with a smile but saw the sadness in her eyes. I asked about her family and she replied that they were safe but nothing is certain at this point. I reached my hand over to hers and expressed my heart's wish. She politely said thank you...

Last week, I wrote three blogs about the beautiful country of Nepal. It's history, architecture, culture, tradition and most of all, the people who welcomed me as if I was a part of their own family. I am positive that majority of the tourists who visited this country felt "at home". Buildings crumbled, roads cascaded, but the people are stronger. They will rebuild these cities, that I am sure.

The last of my Nepal series is about The Manakamana Temple situated in the Gorkha district of Nepal. The name Manakamana

originates from two words, “mana” meaning heart and “kamana” meaning wish. Venerated since the 17th century, it is believed that Goddess Manakamana grants the wishes of all those who make the pilgrimage to her shrine to worship her.

In earlier times the only way to reach the Manakamana temple was by walking uphill for about three hours. Now, there is a cable car that runs from the cable station of Cheres, just 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) east of Mugling to Manakamana. The cable car rides over the distance of 2.8 kilometres (1.7 mi) in 10 minutes more or less. The cable car usually operates during the daytime from 9am to 5pm stopping during lunch break from noon to half past one. The cable car system was imported from Austria and guarantees a hundred percent safety. It has features such as automatically operated generators in case of power failure and hydraulic emergency drive. The employees working at the cable car service are qualified and well trained for emergencies.

On my ride to the temple, I saw an open top cable pod and wondered what it was for. My guide readily answered that it was meant to transport livestock from one end to the other. I can imagine this goat saying baaaaaa baaaaaa, shifting here and there, maybe asking, what have I done to deserve this beautiful view!

Upon reaching the hill, we tackled the steps for about 20 minutes until we reached the Manakamana Temple. There were plenty of devotees that day. All were praying for their heart' wish. I was there as a tourist. To observe and absorb.

Today, I offer to the gods my heart's wish, for Nepal to endure and regain back the smiles on their faces.
cimtech says:
Thank you for sharing !
Posted on: May 02, 2015
gingerbatik says:
thanks for sharing Suz, I didn't visit this temple when I was there last time. another reason to comeback :)
Posted on: May 02, 2015