Manaedang (YangHyunJae) Guesthouse

Check Seoul Hotel Deals

Manaedang (YangHyunJae) Guesthouse Seoul Reviews

trippin_jen trippin_…
Manaedang (YangHyunJae) Guesthouse Oct 15, 2012
If you have the money, if you come in a group of people (so that you can share the cost) and if you're interested to stay in a Hanuk when you travel to Seoul, this will be a good option.

If you've read my previous review on Manaedang, the double booking at Manaedang was actually a blessing in disguise for us. We were given the option to stay in this YangHyunJae due to the mistake made by the owner. This place is wayyyyyyy better than Manaedang.

In their brochure, it says this house could fit 9 people. From what I could see, it can fit 9 babies, but definitely not 9 adults, unless you are planning to sleep in the kitchen as well as the porch. Anyhow, it's still much more spacious compared to Manaedang.

YangHyunJae looks a bit like a studio apartment (except it sits on land). When you get in, you'll first reach the kitchen cum dining hall. There's a bathroom at the corner, then next to it is the entrance to the first room. the second room is connected through the first room, and separated by a sliding door.

Kitchen is fully equipped with utensils, pots and pans, kettle, stove, a big sink, coffee, tea, cereal, etc. Feel free to cook!

The mattress (you sleep on mattresses if you choose to stay in Hanuk) is soooo comfortable and I had the best sleep ever!

Bathroom is spacious and clean. But no place to hang your clothes/towel. Toiletries including towels are provided.

The house comes with a computer and wifi. There's no tv but we don't need one.

Location wise, it was perfect. Short walking distance to amenities, Bukchon Village, ChangdeokGung, Gyeongbuk Gung, Insadong, Anguk Station...

The drawbacks and things that I wasn't comfortable with:

- There's a basement 'office' in this Hanuk and I didn't like the fact that the owner's husband spends his time in the office the whole time - when we were in the house, as well as when we were out.

- Still not liking the owner of the house. She came knocking in the middle of the night, panting. We thought what happened, but she said she forgot to pass us our breakfast for the next morning. Well, that's quite nice of her, but coming to us panting in the middle of the night is not the best way to make your guest feel comfortable. She also brought along her cat, not even the slightest consideration that some of us may be allergic to animals.

- The owner of the house came knocking very early in the morning, asking us to open the door. When he did, her hubby just came in and headed towards the basement. After that he was moving in and out without given notice. They're living just next door. But I think it's very inconsiderate of them and uncomfortable for us cos we were 3 ladies there.

- The owner said we could take anything from the fridge. But the juices were (we presume) leftovers by the previous guest, and it was already expired. We dare not touch the cereal, not knowing when was the last time she replenished them.

- We have to make sure we keep our volumes down as the neighbourhood is very quiet our voices will definitely be heard if you're standing just by the lane or in front of the house.

I like this place a lot, but it's too costly for those on budget.
trippin_jen says:
This YangHyunJae is meant to be rented as a whole (sort of like a family house) and not rented separated by rooms. We were lucky to get this as a compensation to the double booking at Manaedang. Yanti, it's a great local experience staying in Hanuk. Hopefully next time you'll get someone else to share the cost.
Posted on: Oct 19, 2012
YantiSoeparno says:
It looks nice. But, they only have one guest room? One reason why I didn't stay at a hanuk even I wanted it was the price ;D
Posted on: Oct 19, 2012