Manaedang Guesthouse

Seoul-si Jongno-gu Gyedong-gil 92-3 OR 43 Gyedong. Jongno-Gu, Seoul, South Korea - +82-70-4195-9630, +82-10-5334-4857

Check Seoul Hotel Deals

Manaedang Guesthouse Seoul Reviews

trippin_jen trippin_…
Manaedang Guesthouse Oct 13, 2012
Manaedang is a Hanuk Style Guesthouse. This was not our first choice of Guesthouse, but the ones we wanted were already fully booked. Insisted that we stay in Hanuk, we finally found Manaedang, at a cheaper rate compared to other Hanuks (but still expensive compared to other 'normal' Guesthouses).

Here are the reasons why we were disappointed with Manaedang.

- It wasn't so easy to find as there was no prominent signboard.

- We rang the bell and knocked the door but there was no one to receive us. I pushed open the main door and it wasn't locked. Anyone could just go in and steal something. But then we were told that Seoul's a safe place, so people don't usually lock their doors. (Not too sure about that but other Guesthouses have security locks).

- We hung around in the 'unguarded' house for about 20 minutes until we got a neighbour's help to contact the owner of Manaedang'.

- The staff came, informed us that due to a double booking, they have to move us to a smaller room without bathroom attached. OR, because it was their fault, they could put us into a different guest house. Of course we chose the latter. See my other review on "YangHyunJae").

We stayed at the 'substitute' Yang Hyun Jae for one night, then left for Jeju for 3 nights. Upon our return from Jeju, we came back to Manaedang, and got the room that we booked for. Thank God, they did not require any advance payment, cos we had a very unpleasant experience. Here's what happened.

- The room was very small to fit 3 of us. After we laid out the mattresses, there was practically no room to open our luggages. Thankfully there is a cupboard where we could stuff our bags in and get it out of the way.

- There were only about 2 wall sockets for charging... and it was somewhat lose. We had no choice but to search for a cellophane tape in the house to hold our chargers.

- The toilet is big, spacious and clean, but make sure you keep the exhaust fan on, otherwise people from the street can peep!

- The heater for the shower did not work properly. My friend waited a long time before the heater came. When it was my turn, the heater did not come at all and I had to shower with cold water, and it was 13 degrees celcius that night. My heart almost stopped!

- The toilet bowl was showing sign that it'll 'burst' anytime. Every now and then we heard 'bubbles' coming from the toilet bowl.

- The 'garden' was not really a 'garden'. It was just an open space not properly maintained and have clothes hanging out to dry. It was not really a good sight.

- The washing machine does not have any English labels/instructions.

- Kitchen is small, messy and dirty. Loafs of bread was left on the floor together with mineral water bottles and toilet cleaners!

- We could eat anything in the fridge, but we could only find soy sauce.

- They provide lots of tourist brochures but all were in Korean, Japanese and Chinese - no English.

- There's a phone you can you use for emergency, but there's no list of emergency numbers, and the phone is set in Korean language.

- Owner of the house went back to her hometown (for Chuseok celebration) and no one was around to assist. We sent her a message and she sent her neighbour to come check on us.

We love Hanuk stay, but not Manaedang. We used their computer to search for other available Guesthouses and found one last room at BOA (see my other review). We were lucky!

We went to bed very late after all the troubles we had and decided to checkout the next morning. It was my first time moving out from a place we had already booked.

In my opinion, the owner of Manaedang does not have the experience handling international guests.

Hanuk is a nice place, but seems that everyone sleeps very early. You then have to make sure you don't speak too loud or it will disturb the other guests. We could also hear our 'neighbour' snore.
YantiSoeparno says:
Beewon Guest House. I had to pray at hidden area at Lotte World, Kintex, and COEX ;D
Posted on: Oct 20, 2012
trippin_jen says:
? Which guesthouse was that? Hmmm... True... They don't have public prayer room ya? I didn't actually take notice of that until now...
Posted on: Oct 19, 2012
YantiSoeparno says:
I had the same experience with you at my guest house. When we came back to the guest house for lunch and pray, it was lunch time. No staff was around. Unusually that day I gave our room key to the receptionist. So, we couldn't go inside to our room. The main door was opened and many guests' suitcases were in the corridor. They leaved them unguarded. I assume they never loose anything. So, we ate and prayed at the kitchen that day.
Posted on: Oct 19, 2012