Mamertine Prison, Rome

foot of the Capitoline Hill, Rome, Italy

Mamertine Prison, Rome Reviews

cavlizzy cavlizzy
Very Interesting!... and a bit off the beaten path Jun 16, 2011
-- I will have to scan a few more pics for this in about a week. Sorry I only had one that was not 35MM! UG. please check back!!--

* First you may get in on a donation, that is all they request.

* This is where St. Peter and St. Paul were (alleged) held. But the proof seems solid. As this is the last place they seem to have been held.

* It was built around 650 BC. I have read different dates. 7th century BC.

* Only the most prestigious prisoners were held here.

* There is a list on the wall when you first get inside that lists all the people and HOW they died. They vary, and can be gruesome!

* Prisoners were lowered from a hole in the upper floor to the "dungeon-like" opening below. You may take the stairs to see the cramped space they had to live.... and see the scratches on the walls.

* There is a well-like opening that St.Peter is supposedly to have used water from to Baptize the prisoners.

*When St.Peter was finally removed from the cell below, story has it, that the guard pushed his face into the wall,,,and his impression is STILL there. They have it covered in a steel grill. (see pic)

My children left this place with a sense of "awe" and "eek". It definately had an impression on them.... and me.

There is nothing quite like this I have ever seen personally.

We walked from the Colosseum... through the ruins... and just kept going checking things out. The travel book I had used made it seem closer. I am sure it was closer than it felt had we not had 2 small children to make walk THAT distance. For 2 healthy adults, it would be fine. Or you could catch a taxi from the Colosseum (if they would go that close? some have a minimum mile limit)
Mamertine Prison - This alter was …
williamsworld says:
How did I miss this when I was there. Thanks
Posted on: Jun 28, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Mamertine Prison, Rome

Arrival and initial wanderings!
The ride from Fiumicino to Termini took about 30 minutes and it was a great time to catch up and talk.  Finding the Hotel • “Hotel Giada” from the train station was also simple • it’s …Mamertine Prison in Rome , the two chains miraculously fused together. We saw the chains which are kept in a reliquary…

Check Rome Hotel Deals