Mama's Fish House Restaurant

799 Poho Place, Kihei, HI, USA - (808) 579-8488

Mama's Fish House Restaurant Kihei Reviews

jwhittrn jwhittrn
Sep 09, 2007
Mama's fish house is not someplace you will eat dinner at every night you are in Maui, unless money is no object. However, it is a must do at least once during your stay. The view is breathtaking and the food is amazing. And you must do the full course... appetizer to dessert to coffee. They started us off with a complimentary (incredible tease) ahi tuna tartare. I have never had tuna like this in my life. It literally melted in my mouth. I could have made a meal of that.

Although not a big drinker, I prefer beer and wine, while in Hawaii one must have island drinks. Unfortunately, I do not recall the name of the drink I had but I do know it was not a mai tai! It was very light, refreshing and perfect for someone like myself who does not care for hard liquors much.

We then had the shrimp wontons with a macadamia nut dipping sauce. If there are more than three of you, get two. There are four per serving and they are too delicious to only have one each. Absolutely amazing.

For my entree, I had the Deep-water Ahi caught aboard the fishing vessel “Sea Diamond”. Sugarcane grilled with ginger soy glaze, stir-fried watercress and green papaya salad.  (copied right from their menu online). Absolutely delicious. I had mine rare but I would have preferred seared, i think.

Never have I spent $12 for one cup of coffee, however, to enjoy the full circle experience of this resturant, it really is worth it. Your Kona coffee comes in your very own press and really you get 2-3 cups out of one serving. You could actually order 1 coffee per 2 people and have enough. I had decaf and really would never have known.

And for the grande finale, we shared two desserts. Being a chocoholic, my waiter talked me into the Mama’s Chocolate Kuau Pie In a caramel cookie crust. While it was yummy, the Banana Macadamia Nut Crisp

Served warm with Tahitian vanilla ice cream was to die for. I would order this and only this the next time I go.

Overall, our bill came to about $85 pp with tip. I personally have not spent more than $50-60 on a meal, and then only once in a blue moon, however, this was worth it and I would never visit Maui and not have dinner here at least once. Make reservations, as it is very busy and you will wait a long time without one. When you have finished your meal, you can watch the sunset on the north beach. Absolutely wonderful dining experience.
Mama's Fish House Boat
Sunset after dinner at Mama's Fish…
The view from Mama's Fish House
reikunboy says:
sounds great it did make me feel hungry
Posted on: Feb 05, 2008
frankcanfly says:
Sounds like a great experience! I'll start saving my pennies now....
Posted on: Oct 21, 2007