Mamak

www.mamak.com.au - +612 9211 1668

Mamak Sydney Reviews

heather_f heather_f
A gem - great value, fantastic quality food in Chinatown Jul 03, 2011
You have to queue to get into this place but it is so worth it. Customers are seated quickly so the queue goes down faster than you would think...and while you wait you can watch the chefs whip up some fresh roti's and pour hot coffee from great heights.

The place can be quite noisy when full though so not ideal for a romantic meal... but other than that I can't fault it.

The menu is short but sweet and I'm sure would cater to everyones tastes. I try to order something different every time I go and have never been disappointed. You really can't go past the chicken satay $8 and roti canai $5, I think I have ordered that on every visit!

Other stand outs are the Lamb curry.. so flavoursome with a nice spice and always large chunks of extremely tender lamb, and if you like really hot food go for the sambal udang prawns - they blow your mouth off in the best way possible!

AND they are open till 2am on Friday and Saturday nights, the ultimate take-away for the road home after a night out...what more could you want? I just love this place and totally recommend it. Oh and its BYO!
leesha04 leesha04
Malaysian on the cheap Jul 21, 2011
Great little place in Chinatown. Often there's a line to get in the door, however turnover is quick and in my opinion, it's worth the wait.

You can see the roti being made in the window as you wait. Try the roti canai (Malaysian bread served with spicy curry) or roti kaya (bread and coconut jam) for dessert.

The place is open until 2am on weekends - so if you don't feel like waiting head there after the dinner rush for some late night supper. Great to satisfy those late night hunger cravings.
roti tisu
milk tea
shaynw shaynw
Best Malaysian food in Sydney Jul 14, 2011
Yes this place has the best Malaysian food in Sydney. All the classic stuff is there that you want but the only problem is everything costs 10 times what it does in Malaysia. But I geuss it's cheaper to eat here than pay for a plane ticket to KL to eat dinner ! Great food, decent prices for Sydney. Not to be confused with Mamak Village in Glebe which is a new upcoming Malay restaurant seriously giving Mamak a run for its money !
Clownath Clownath
Love malaysian Food ? go for it ! Mar 26, 2011
I discovered the Chicken satay at Mamak, and now it's not possible for me to go to an other place to have it. That's the best chicken satay I ever had :)
petit_gooroo petit_go…
Not expensive at all & sooooooo good !!! Nov 13, 2009
When we arrived at the restaurant to meet friends around 7.00PM, there was a queue in front of it. I learnt later that it is normal there, you always have to wait outside a little bit (20 mn for us on a Friday night), and you cannot book a table.

So we waited, having a look on how they prepare the roti (a malay special). And it was truly worth the wait.

The food we had was so good ! I went to Malaysia few months ago and I was not disappointed at all ! We ordered so much food, even too much as there was a curry we almost did not touch, did not finish another one and had most of the rice left (they do not rub us on the quantity ;).

And with all of that, it was only 25$ per head for rotis (as starters and then deserts), curries, rice, chicken satay, roasted chicken, tea...

The chicken satay was just my best ever !

Check Sydney Hotel Deals