Mama Mary's Church in Simala,Sibonga Cebu

Cebu, Philippines

Mama Mary's Church in Simala,Sibonga Cebu Reviews

sage719 sage719
the church at simala Jul 30, 2011
there are a lot of old churches in cebu.

the 3 i went to on a day trip 7.29.11 was the cathedral,sto.nino and the one in simala.

i've been to the first two churches several times when i stayed in cebu for almost a year, my trip to the simala was my first.

going to simala. take a ceres bus in the south bound terminal. i guess find door 14 pay the fare which was P70 to simala + P5 terminal fee,exit door 15 and board the bus. the trip was about 2hrs since it stops a lot to pick up passengers along the way. i dont know where to stop so i asked the person next to me 'kerstin' from argao if she was from cebu and knows the church- luckily she was and knew the place im going to, she was nice to tell me where i get-off. if you dont have a guide asked the driver or the conductor to get you off to the church in simala.

off the bus i followed a sign "mama mary" so i followed the sign. a lot of motorcycle driver will asked you to take a ride with them.i'm a little hesitant since im not sure where will they drop me off and thought i should asked a store to point me in to the right direction. walking i saw 2 people about my age if they are going there luckily they are and asked if i could tag along. rosyl & tj from negros,they've been to the church several times and they were so nice they let me tag along. we rode a motorcycle going there 5kms. the fare was P20/each.

the church was on the end of the road, and you will not miss it. it was different from the old churches in cebu city or the churches you'll pass along the south bound road. it was fairly new. i dont know how to describe its architectural structure.provocative dress are not allowed. so dont wear short shorts, sleeveless shirts and you know what i mean. going up the stairs , you'll find a chapel. we head towards the back. there you'll be asked to take off your shoes. on the walls you'll find canes/wheelchair on one side of a wall,the other thank you letters, medals,awards,ids of accomplishments even a wig,dresses and all sort of stuffs. i guess proof of accomplishments or wishes/prayers granted. we went upstairs and we fall in line to see a statue of mama mary which i guess was the one they say was the one who sheds tears. going down we sort came across a gallery full of mama mary's statue from all sorts of countries all over the world and there names. it was pretty scary for me the images and dolls. anyway, there are a lot to see like the painting on the walls,the ceilings and carvings. we lit candles. there are different kinds for different intentions, also a souvenir shop was there where you can buy a rosary or a prayer booklet all sort of stuffs and be blessed by the monks too.

the trip there was enlightening. it was pretty safe compared to the city. it was a good thing i did not came on a very busy day, that way it was solemn and peaceful. a mass was held at 12nn every weekdays, on weekends too but i forgot the time. tj said the church seems never finished,like it grows from the last time he was there. to me, it kinda looks he's right.i'd like to see what it look likes 5years from now. going down the hill, we took a motorcycle with a sidecar but it took a long time since the driver will fill it up. on a bus stop my new friends bid farewell as i cross the street to board my bus.-the end-

Check Cebu Hotel Deals