Mama Africa Tours

021 987 2272

Mama Africa Tours Cape Town Reviews

debcon debcon
Not worth it May 26, 2011
I went here with my Austrian friend. It was Her last night out before going back home. She got Her hostel to book the table and was present when they did so.

It is located in a busy area and the prices reflect that. As we arrived the manager shouted at my friend that we were an hour late! Err no we weren't. It turned out they couldn't read the waitresses writing! She then apologised and asked us to wait at the bar. An hour later and we were still waiting for a table. We eventually got seated and by this point we were very hungry...and angry.

We chose our food and drinks and the meal was quite enjoyable. Then came the time to pay the bill. We paid what we owed with a tip and the waiter took it from us. A few minutes later He came storming over saying the tip wasnt enough pointing at the service charge on the receipt. We pointed out that it states that there is no service charge in groups of six or less. ( There were five of us ). He started shouting that He worked hard for a tip etc even though we had given Him one! My friend pointed out we had worked hard to save up to come to another country!

I have no problem giving tips but working out what He thought was acceptable as a tip was ridiculous. And for mediocre service He's lucky He got anything at all.
peeyushmalhotra says:
Blow up this restaurant, shoot the waiter... troubling lovely girls
Maduo Maduo
Gracious Mama Africa Jul 22, 2008
This restaurant was such a hit with a large group of 22 people- we all LOVED it! It was a fun place to go for a very authentic "African" vibe. The food was great and the local band kept us all entertained.

Must try items: Appetizers- Samosas; entree- Ostrich steaks (get them medium rare or else it will be very chewy and overcooked!); dessert- Malva pudding! If you don't try the Malva pudding then you are really missing out.
Samosas
Malva Pudding- my favorite dessert
peeyushmalhotra says:
Samosa is an Indian dish, they have made it african.. and what do they stuff it with - snakes
Chloelf Chloelf
Good food, Good Atmosphere, not so good staff! Sep 11, 2007
Mama Africas is quite a popular restaurant in Cape Town, its definatley worth the visit for the food. The serve a wide range of game, including ostrich, and crocodile etc. Vey nice food, nicely presented, very busy, good atmosphere. The location is great, it is in the centre of Cape Town. I liked the place so much that I was taking a picture of it in the inside and a waitress came up to me and said "in future if you would like to take a photo of me I'd prefer if you would ask first" This annoyed me as I wasn't taking a picture of the waitress, some of the staff seemed a bit ratty, maybe it is because the place is so busy and it is stressful, but a bit of manners is nice to see!! I would give it 100% if it was for the waitressing staff!
Mama Africas
peeyushmalhotra says:
What!!! Is this what they do to young girls, why didn't you punch waitress who talked so rudely
debcon says:
I thought the staff were rude too. The manager actually shouted at my friend.

Check Cape Town Hotel Deals